COMBAT MISSION 2: Sys Reqs.?!

Guest SS_Obergruppenführer

Originally posted by Vanir:

It will also require a 16 MB video card.

Could someone please confirm if this is really the case. I'm using a HP Omnibook 6000 with a 700 Mhz processor, but the video card has only 8 MB, and since it is integrated I'm stuck with it. The only solution I know of would be to buy a docking station, which would cost 700$. To buy it only for this purpose would be insane.

So if 16 MB is a minimum requirement, I will probably be pissed off for a while.

[This message has been edited by Nabla (edited 02-16-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Nabla:

So if 16 MB is a minimum requirement, I will probably be pissed off for a while.

Steve has stated they are looking at making 16MB minimum, but no firm decision has been made. Having said that, on my iBook, 4MB is running the game just fine (high-quality smoke and explosions etc.) even though the current minimum requirement is 4MB. This is probably a Mac thing, but if I were you I would wait and see before getting angry. Also, it is another 8 months at least before the game comes out (earliest - Fall 2001).

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Could someone please confirm if this is really the case.

Here.

Steve:

I need to clarify things. The minimum 3D card for CM2 will be 16MB, optimal will be 32MB.

That is unfortunate for you, but 8 MB video cards are dinosaurs. Very few games coming out this year will be playable with one.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 02-16-2001).]

Could someone please confirm if this is really the case. I'm using a HP Omnibook 6000 with a 700 Mhz processor, but the video card has only 8 MB, and since it is integrated I'm stuck with it. The only solution I know of would be to buy a docking station, which would cost 700$. To buy it only for this purpose would be insane.

[This message has been edited by Nabla (edited 02-16-2001).]

You can replace on-board video with a video card of your choosing, you just need to flip a few virtual switches...

That is unfortunate for you, but 8 MB video cards are dinosaurs. Very few games coming out this year will be playable with one.

Well, if only I were lucky enough so that CM2 would be one of those "very few ones", since that's really the only one I give a damn about. smile.gif Seriously, I understand the problem here, I'm not hoping for an 8MB card to give perfect graphics, just such that I can still play this very, very addictive game.

I can't imagine that CM2 will be drastically different from CMBO in its hardware requirements. For those who are running on laptops with limited graphics capability, I'd assume that they would still be able to play, but the default graphics may be a bit slower than CMB0. An 8Mb video in a laptop should probably be sufficient, if a bit slow, to play CM2.

Admittedly a good number of people have machines that are quite a bit faster than the minimum spec for CMBO. For a lot of gamers the minimum spec machines would be unbearably slow, especially in regard to high resolution mods and large battles. The same should hold true for CM2.

I believe that some of the graphics that come with CM2 may be a bit higher in resolution than the current CMBO graphics. However that is still conjecture at this point. CM2 is going to look a lot like CMBO (other than the obvious change in theatre) with some tweaks here and there. You're NOT going to be seeing dynamic lighting effects, hardware T&L and quadruple the previous number of polygons per vehicle/squad.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

CM2 is going to look a lot like CMBO (other than the obvious change in theatre) with some tweaks here and there. You're NOT going to be seeing dynamic lighting effects, hardware T&L and quadruple the previous number of polygons per vehicle/squad.

The only thing I could think of would be larger maps for some of the engagements, trenches etc., and a more complex building model. Depending on which or if any of these is implemented.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

I suspect also that the models will have more polygons, but this is a guess.

IMO the only models needing more polygons are buildings (if they are to be "split" in more than one "tile") and perhaps infantry faces/bodies (they're still somewhat puppet-like..).

For the rest (other terrains, all vehicles) I don't see the need for more polygons ...