Tanks and the Hide order

Does the Hide order have the same effect of making the unit hold its fire like it does for an infantry unit? I have a tank sitting in ambush on the blind side of a curve in the road and would like for it to go "silent" to maximize my chance of getting the first shot off, but I don't want it to try and "hide" from any tanks that appear.

Suggestions?

Hey! smile.gif

In all honesty, I'd leave your tank unbuttoned, unhid and in NON-ambush mode.

In my experience, tanks (when hiding) lose a lot of their spotting ability. (In the manual, it states that hidden units have their spotting abilities reduced. This seems to go double for tanks.)

When I use hide, in conjuction with the ambush command, I've had enemy tanks drive right into my ambush marker, turn and blast my tank to kindom come-and-go without my guys ever even seeing the enemy tank. :o

Ambush, without hiding, would probably be the way to go - in your case. smile.gif

(I have read posts here where people have set tank ambushes with great success.)

Hiding vehicles only seems to be good for the initial minutes of a battle (when trying to decieve the enemy of your OOB), or maybe when there are enemy fighter/bombers about. (Though I'm only guessing at that..) smile.gif

KFS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zgrose:

Does the Hide order have the same effect of making the unit hold its fire like it does for an infantry unit? I have a tank sitting in ambush on the blind side of a curve in the road and would like for it to go "silent" to maximize my chance of getting the first shot off, but I don't want it to try and "hide" from any tanks that appear.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to get the first shot off, I would not hide. Hiding tanks do not spot very well and will be sluggish to open fire when a target presents itself. Hide is a mostly worthless command for vehicles.

I wouldn't recommend placing your tank in hiding. Units in hiding don't spot as well and won't fire at long ranges. You may only have a short range shot on the road, but I wouldn't chance it. I placed a tank in hide once (and only once). It spotted the enemy tank at the same time it was spotted, but didn't even turn its turret to engage until the second time it was shot it. By the time it lined up to fire at the enemy, it was a smoldering heap of metal.

I tried an experiment once using armor and the hide command. I posted a thread here much like yours, only after the fact. All the armor DIED without firing a shot. The ONLY thing hide does with armor is REDUCE your spotting ability, ensuring the enemy will get off the first shot and you will end up dead. DO NOT HIDE ARMOR.