Info about Soviet Operations Dnepr area late 43

Hi

I'm looking for info sources regarding the Soviet operations approaching, crossing and advancing across the line of the Dneper River in late 43. Also any info sources regarding German counter actions.

I've located some stuff both web based and in my own library, but at the moment I'm drawing a bit of a blank regarding the Soviet units involved down to Divisional level. If anyone could suggest suitable books or links I'd be extremely grateful.

Whats in it for you I hear you ask?

My undying gratitude and a new operation scenario to play with :D

The Russian "Dnieper" positions in the Ukraine were spending the last weeks of 1943 gearing up for the "Korsun-Schevchenkovsky" Operation, which created the Korsun Pocket.

Here is some background as I am preparing an operation to cover one of the key opening battles of this operation.

Basically the Russians had pushed past the Dnieper in many areas along it's length by the end of 43'. The Germans still held certain positions on it, but the idea of actually "holding the Dnieper line", was at this point unrealistic.

By January, 1944, a huge salient(Kanev) had formed in the south, just west of the Dnieper. AGS was in danger from Hitler's no retreat policy. Hitler wanted Manstein hold this salient as a possible springboard from which to launch a future offensive to retake Kiev and restore the Dnieper line.

2 German Armies, the 1st Panzer Army and the 8th Army both had a corps each, defending this salient. General's Lieb and Stemmermann were the ranking officers in this area. Between the 2 of them they controlled 4 infantry divisions, 3 division groups(remnants of former divisions formed into overstrength battalions) and the 5th SS Wiking panzer division, with the SS Pz.Gr.Brig. "Wallonie".

From both the East and west of the salient attacked 2 Soviet Fronts, 1st Ukrainian and 2nd Ukrainian, commanded by General Vatutin and Marshall Konev respectively.

The attack, though extremely difficult to achieve, worked. Over 60,000 Germans were trapped. Many battles were fought over the course of 4 weeks in sub-zero temperatures. Fighting to break out or fighting to rescue those trapped, some of the greatest names in the German armed forces were there, 1st SS-Panzer Division Leibstandarte, Willy Hien, Dr. Franz Bake, the 305th Pz Abt., Erich Hartmann, Hans Ulrich Rudel. The list goes on.

In the end, through extreme effort, roughly 40,000 escaped the Korsun Pocket. Some by having to swim the Gniloy river, in some places 25 ft wide and over 6 ft deep. Many had travelled miles before succumbing to the icy waters of the Gniloy.

I plan to cover part of the initial Russian breakthrough in this operation in and around the town of Kapitanovka, a road hub that connects to Zvenigorodka, which is the main objective of both Soviet Fronts, attacking toward each other to link up in this town and thus create the Korsun Pocket. The 1st line of resistance for the Germans will include elements of the 389th Infantry Division, followed by the defense of the town proper, by the 108th PzGr.Rgt., reinforced later by the the remnants of Oberst Willy Langkeit's Pz.Rgt.36. The attacking Russian force will be comprised mainly of elements of the 53rd Army and the 155th Tank Brigade/29th Tank Corps/5th GDS Tank Army.

It is my goal to finish this operation by May/June.

Good luck to you in your project.

You might even check out Avalanche Press's Boardgame dealing with the Kanev bridge crossing and the paradrops, called "Red Parachutes". I'll check it when I get home to see if there's anything resembling a bibliography in it, but it's one of the best kept secrets in war boardgames (ie, it's an excellent system). Of course it's more operational in scale than tactical...

Originally posted by George Mc:

Hi

I'm looking for info sources regarding the Soviet operations approaching, crossing and advancing across the line of the Dneper River in late 43. Also any info sources regarding German counter actions.

I've located some stuff both web based and in my own library, but at the moment I'm drawing a bit of a blank regarding the Soviet units involved down to Divisional level. If anyone could suggest suitable books or links I'd be extremely grateful.

Whats in it for you I hear you ask?

My undying gratitude and a new operation scenario to play with :D

Look for the book "From the Don to the Dnepr: Soviet Offensive Operations December 1942-August 1943" by David M. Glantz. That should give you what you are looking for.

Panther Commander

Originally posted by KG_Cloghaun:

[QB] The Russian "Dnieper" positions in the Ukraine were spending the last weeks of 1943 gearing up for the "Korsun-Schevchenkovsky" Operation, which created the Korsun Pocket.

/QB]

Many thansk for you info KG. Sounds like you've done some great research. I've a copy of Hell's Gate by Douglas Nash which has some superb detailed info (down to tactical level) about the Korsun Pocket (or Battle of Cherkassy). You may already have this, if not its worth getting (it costs though..) Otherwise drop me an email (you can track this down at the Scenario Depot)if you have any questions - nae bother to trawl through the book for you!

Thansk again for your info - and good luck wi your project.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc