German Pioneer Word question

Surprisingly [to me], my English-German dictionary has a listing for it:

"der Knu:ppeldamm".

[the ":" represents the umlaut over the "u"...haven't figured out how to post that typeset.]

And here I was just going to guess it would be "Kord-von-Kaiser" ;)

Originally posted by Hans:

In American a road covered with logs to improve trackability is called a corduroy road - what is the German term?

Thanks Brent, hmmmm I wonder if their was a specific German military term for that?

I guess it is the appropriate military word. IIRC I read it in a few books. We don't invent separate names for the military - keep it simple!

@Brent:

It would be "Horn vom König" or in correct grammar "Horn des Königs" (Horn of the king).

King and Kaiser are slightly different.

(King of Prussia but Emperor of Germany (more exact is "Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation" - starting with Karl dem Grossen (aka Charlemagne) in 800AD).

Gruß

Joachim

[ April 07, 2004, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Joachim ]

Thanks Joachim

I thought they might have picked a term from the French or Latin for it

'der Knu:ppeldamm' is der knuppeldamm exceptable without the umlaut?

"Knüppeldamm = Knueppeldamm". If you don't have the "Umlaut" "ü", use "ue", just like the military did (at least until 1988 when we still had the WW2-vet telex machines).

Picking words form Latin or French was cool, but increasing an army of 100.000 to several millions would soon see fancy words replaced by common words. Just to make sure everybody knew what to expect when driving on a curduroy road.

It is different if the fancy word is already in common use.

Gruß

Joachim

[Edit: on my keyboard, the "0252" has to be typed using the number pad, not the number/symbol row.]

Thanks, JonS, I'll try to keep that info someplace handy.

BF.C - please make this a sticky forum or place this keyboard tidbit in the FAQ.

;)

Originally posted by JonS:

to get the umlaut over the u, press 'alt' and type 0252 (alt+0252)

ü

It should work in most text editors, including MS Notepad (for scen briefings)

Regards

JonS

[ April 08, 2004, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Brent,

in Windows go "Start" -> "Run", then type in "charmap.exe" into the space, press enter. A program called character map will start up. Its got all the codes for very handy for maths and science symbols, and the special letters in foreign languages. In essence, it allows you to cut and paste a particular character you're after, but it also displays the expanded ASCII codes for those characterss (which is what I gave above).

You should probably also have it as a shortcut called "character map" somewhere in your "Start Button" tree, most likely under "start" -> "programs" -> "accessories"

Regards

JonS

Most German typewriters (or telex machines) in WW2 usually had no Umlaute. So why bother. The appropriate usage is "sz" for "ß", "Ue/ue" For "Ü/ü", "Ae/ae" for "Ä/ä" and "Oe/oe" for "Ö/ö".

BTW:

If you want to replace "ue" with "ü" cause you think "ue" is always an Umlaut, make sure you know what you do. I still remember the "Feürknopf" of my "Steürknüppel" in the manual of a cheapo joystick. As you guessed, 2 out of 3 are wrong.

Gruß

Joachim

JonS: a source for CM tactics & Windows tactics.

:cool:

Originally posted by JonS:

Brent,

in Windows go "Start" -> "Run", then type in "charmap.exe" into the space, press enter. A program called character map will start up. Its got all the codes for very handy for maths and science symbols, and the special letters in foreign languages. In essence, it allows you to cut and paste a particular character you're after, but it also displays the expanded ASCII codes for those characterss (which is what I gave above).

You should probably also have it as a shortcut called "character map" somewhere in your "Start Button" tree, most likely under "start" -> "programs" -> "accessories"

Regards

JonS