My Troops are thick as Two Planks!!!!!!!

Scenario: I started up a game of Airborne vs German Army (heer), La Fierer one, something like that. Anyway, I ordered my men to run across the road at that a set of buildings

surrounding the east side of the bridge. Unfortunately there happened to be a Veteran/Crack platoon of rifle squads guarding it, and they opned fire, obviously.

I expected my men to return fire but NO!!!!!

Lets go for a lovely walk in the park was the idea on their minds. I mean one squad went within ten metres of the enemy and just walked past him at move pace to get to the area i designated him to move to.

I may be asking for a bit to much, but if a platoon comes under fire you'd expect your troops to imedeatly seek cover or at the least return fire. Not just slow down to a walk pace and walk into submachine gun fire.

Comments? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Buff,

I have seen things such as this happen on occasion. With move or run commands, units will try to execute & complete the commands unless severely disrupted by enemy fire. With the sneak command, units will stop & return fire upon taking most any fire.

As far as slowing to a walk after having been given a run command & after having taken substantial fire, I don't know exactly the reason for this. Obviously, it is something in the AI process.

I do know that units taking fire while running & while in any terrain are extremely exposed/vulnerable especially when the fire is point blank short (less than 100 &, especially, 40 meters & less). I have seen whole 10 man squads die within literally one or two seconds while running on pavement in the point blank fire of three or so squads. :eek: :eek:

Somewhat likely in your situation, your guys got somewhat disrupted by the 10 meter point blank fire &, like good obedient troops, they are trying to complete your (as it turns out, uninformed) orders sending them into point fire.

You are lucky that your opponent did not have 3 or so full strength squads shooting at point blank range. If that had been the case, you would have probably suffered crippling casualties. smile.gif

So you might consider yourself lucky. tongue.gif;)

Cheers, Richard :D

I would blame it on their commander. No suppressive fire? No recon by fire? No preparation? Too bad.

Good thing the game does not model the writing letters to deceased heros' parents part of the business.

'Dear Sir or Madam, your son/husband/father had to die because I have a lot to learn' :D

At least that is how mine would start.

Sounds realistic to me. What would you do if you were ordered to an unsecured position and ambushed in the open along the way? Panic? Go for the nearest cover? Continue your orders to the best of your ability? The game models all of these and more. Many things can happen in the split second of an ambush trigger. Your men may not have known where the fire was even coming from.

Perhaps one day when computer hardware is more advanced, squads will split up and disperse.

The problem here is gameplay. Just think about how many times you have broken your monitor/kicked the cat/screamed in frustration(or whatever you do...) when your troops DIDNT follow your orders. I know I have done so countless of times:-( So the question for BTS (Charles) is WHEN should they obey your orders. I dont see any easy soulution to this. Sometimes troops die because they follow your orders and sometimes they die because they dont. I think it would be easy (if coding ever is easy...) to change the game so troops stoped moving and began to return fire when ambushed. But then someone would fins a few examples of units who died because of that. Should they change it back then? What if t anly took a depleted halfsquad to stop an advance? I think what BTS has coded works very good. Not everytime, but Im not sure different people react exactly the same way in real life when they come under fire.

But there might be a solution to this problem in CMBB. Unless my memory fails me, Ive read something about a advance to contact. A new order for infantry which should work like hunt for tanks. Im almost certain that Ive read this but dont quote me :)

/Kristian