Western Front CM2 or Eastern Front CM2

Well I am surpised. I actually kind of thought it would be Western Front all the way. Thanks for the answers and some interesting information. Over 13 million German's lost. WoW! I had no idea. Looking at those figures makes you wonder what would have happened had Germany not taken on two fronts. Or maybe there's no wondering to it. Thanks again. :eek:

I admit the eastern front isn't my best subject,But the book I'm looking at now says Germany had 10 million military personnel with 3,300,000 killed and missing.The Russians had 20 million military personnel with 13,600,000 killed and 5 million wounded.Is this book wrong? The author is Robert Goralski, I really hate to be misinformed :confused: Oh and it doesn't list the number of German wounded.Please I'm not trying to pick a fight I just want to know for future reference.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yank:

I But the book I'm looking at now says Germany had 10 million military personnel with 3,300,000 killed and missing.The Russians had 20 million military personnel with 13,600,000 killed and 5 million wounded.Is this book wrong? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's probably as close a guess as anyone's going to get. Add in a number for Finns, Romanians, Hungarians, Italians, Slovaks, Spanish and the like to the German numbers too.

And my vote is for East Front - why would I want 2 games dealing with the west front?????

German permanent losses (dead missed or disabled) 11.135.800 (including 6.035.000 wounded). German POW on Eastern front2.389.600

Axis losses on the eastern front 959.000 dead and missing, 766800 POW.

Russian Losses, dead missed or captured 11.285.057

wounded sick or frostbitten 18.344.148.

Source Glantz When Titans clashed

> But the book I'm looking at now says

> Germany had 10 million military personnel

> with 3,300,000 killed and missing.

Throughout WWII USSR mobilised 34.5 million people to the armed service, and Germany mobilised 21.0 millon people.

Soviet irredeemable military losses were, indeed, 11.4 mln people; 11.9 mln counting those who were mobilised but never reached their assigned units in 1941.

At the time of german capitulation, there were 4.1 million german soldiers in active service and another 0.7 million in hospitals. 16.3 million were out of service this way or another. 11.8 mln of these were irredeemable losses (4.4 mln dead, 7.4 mln POWs).

Over 2/3 of these were lost in the Eastern front.

Plus there were minor axis powers and Japan. For accuracy sake, there were also minor allies powers in the eastern front, such as Vojsko Polskoe and Normandy-Neman GvIAP.

> I don't think that the Russian figure

> includes civilians - Beevor offers a final

> total of 26 million, including civilians,

> for the Russians.

This 26 million figure is a separate matter altogether. This is population loss (ie, only those who died or left the country). On the contrary, irredeemable military losses include quite a lot (3 mln) of those who were reported dead or missing and were later found this way or another.

Source: Col.-Gen. G.F. Krivoshein, report to the session of WWII Historians Association, 29.12.98.

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Skipper ]

Well, I've got to ask. Anybody know how many American lives were lost? How about the Brits? I don't suppose nearly as many but I thought American's were like 500,000. Comparing with the other figures I may be all wet. :confused:

Restricting to war dead, US losses were about 410,000, out of which combat-related losses (KIA) were about 292,000.

I don't know for Britain in specific, but I THINK that total war dead for the Commonwealth forces (combat & other causes) was about 450,000.

Thanks Spook. So I was close. I thought maybe I was wrong after hearing the numbers on Germany and Russia but the old memory is still working. I guess Germany and Russia didn't like each other to much, huh?