CMAK: The Melfa Bridgehead

Warning! Spoilers in da house! Don't read on if you haven't played this scenario yet!

I know this scenario is best played as Allies (Canadians) vs. AI (Germans), but I couldn't resist and played it as the Germans.

Wow! This was great fun! I just sent my Panthers forward and enjoyed watching the complete destruction of the canadian attack force without losing a single Panther...

The Nashorns proved to be very vulnerable at close ranges, I lost two of them on the graveyard to heavy incoming machinegun fire...but on long ranges, they kicked some ass!

The Panzer IVGs were also very useful, one of them knocked out three Sherman IIIs in one and a half minutes! ( near the graveyard )

The funniest thing was when I ordered my 82mm mortar FO to open fire "blindly" (witout LOS) on one of the canadian attack columns.

Of course the barrage didn't strike the target area, but struck the other canadian attack column...

The AI lost sixty-three vehicles in this battle, while I lost two...har har...

TheMelfaBridgehead.JPG

Oh well, I think I'll try it as the canadians now...can't be that hard against the AI ... ;)

Regards, Sven

[ April 07, 2004, 05:50 AM: Message edited by: Trommelfeuer ]

Choosing the "wrong" side in scenarios is some fun. The Nashorns are best hehind the river. Maybe I'll replay using +50% for the AI smile.gif .

Worst thing to happen was that a Panther run out of AP ammo. I concentrated its fire on light vehicles afterwards.

Gruß

Joachim

Oh no trouble makers

[slap] what playing the scenario NOT as the designer intended? [slap]. WHAT, you actually enjoyed playing the scenario the wrong way? [double slap]. EGADs! You've told OTHERS about this evil? [Great big slap].

Glad you had fun - hey how about a review? Oh and I played it the wrong way too - and found it unbalanced - hence no recommendation to play it that way.

Originally posted by Hans:

Oh no trouble makers

[slap] what playing the scenario NOT as the designer intended? [slap]. WHAT, you actually enjoyed playing the scenario the wrong way? [double slap]. EGADs! You've told OTHERS about this evil? [Great big slap].

Glad you had fun - hey how about a review? Oh and I played it the wrong way too - and found it unbalanced - hence no recommendation to play it that way.

Ouch! I admit I'm guilty! Ouch! I needed some fun! Ouch! Some cakewalk to beat the AI! Ouch! Did we mention the AI losses vs our own? Ouch! Does this seem balanced? Ouch! Did I mention that I'd replay it with a big bonus for the AI? Ouch! So I can kill even more AI tanks as I doubt it will be balanced then if the Panthers are used correctly.

Gruß

Joachim

Reviewed ath the depot. Recommendations for playing HTH or Allies vs AI based on general experience.

Personally I do not care about force balance. I judge success by other factors than points.

It was a cakewalk, but my losses were minimal and I used solid tactics. Noted my errors with the Nashorns (I forgot that superior German optics are not part of CM but gyrostabilizers are and Shermans kill Nashorns with one shot but not the other way), learned from them.

Gruß

Joachim

Thanks for the review and comments above. In most scenarios I design for HTH I usually recommend +25-50%, +1 experience if doing it vs the AI with an additional +25% if the player deems themselves to be experience.

If you ever try it against a human I'd like to know the results!

Hans

Thanks for the review and comments above. In most scenarios I design for HTH I usually recommend +25-50%, +1 experience if doing it vs the AI with an additional +25% if the player deems themselves to be experience.

If you ever try it against a human I'd like to know the results!

Hans

Remind me next year when my current PBEMs are over.

Gruß

Joachim

Oh excuses eh, well then I'll back slap you even harder, call you a son of the soil and challenge you to a Melfa PBEM. You get the fabulous Germans I get the Allies with +75%? :}

Now that would be something I'd enjoy too - I guess... ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have the time for it now, I'm playtesting Operation Störfang SP & MP scenarios...

But "The Melfa Bridgehead" is certainly one I'll play as a PBEM match as soon as I can!

Regards, Sven

Oh excuses eh, well then I'll back slap you even harder, call you a son of the soil and challenge you to a Melfa PBEM. You get the fabulous Germans I get the Allies with +75%? :}

If I am allowed to adjust the ammo of the Panthers to "lots of AP", move reinforcement marker 3 to where I want and 4 times increase the experience of an AFV (ie I can make 4 vets or 2 vets plus 1 crack etc) - I'll accept.

BTW - this is not another challenge threat, is it?

Gruß

Joachim

[ April 02, 2004, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Joachim ]

Oh no! Not another challenge thread, however this one would be for cultured gentlemen dedicated to fellowship, erudite discussion, astute comments and fine play and not under aged simpletons with performance anxiety unable to control their mental fatigue! (just kidding boys)

Hmmmm have to look at where marker 3 is, after so many scenarios individual markers fade......-I presume you want to move the marker within the German original set up area...is it the one in the NW corner (going from memory)

Hmmmmm Shermans vs Panthes, 75mm ATG and Nashorns, hmmmmmmm

Oh no! Not another challenge thread, however this one would be for cultured gentlemen dedicated to fellowship, erudite discussion, astute comments and fine play and not under aged simpletons with performance anxiety unable to control their mental fatigue! (just kidding boys)

Hmmmm have to look at where marker 3 is, after so many scenarios individual markers fade......-I presume you want to move the marker within the German original set up area...is it the one in the NW corner (going from memory)

Hmmmmm Shermans vs Panthes, 75mm ATG and Nashorns, hmmmmmmm

We could do the "Review challenge thread". Challenging anybody would request at least 3 reviews per challenge . :D

Don't know if its NW. It is the one in the town. Can't hold the town until turn 17 against a human player putting his main effort there.

Guess that reinforcement marker is no good for replayability.

Gruß

Joachim

[ April 03, 2004, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Joachim ]