CM in the Pacific

Brian,

I stand by my prior posts. In the island hopping battles, by sheer brute firepower advantage did the US overcome the brave and intrepid (yes, I said brave & intrepid) Japanese defenders. If you think differently, may it be suggested that you might be mistaken.

Further, the CM system is not set up to handle the close in battles of the island hopping campaigns.

Burma, may be interesting. China, I for one don't want to play that front, other may. Hong Kong, get real. Malaya, interesting. Singapore, a bore (lol). Island hopping, no way.

Cheers, Richard

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Victor Semensi:

Will desert strategy be much different from that used on the Russian steppes?<hr></blockquote>

Of course the strategy was different. The question should have been: Will the tactics be different? To a significant degree, yes. The British did not fight the way the Soviets did and did not have the same weapons. The desert was not the same as the steppes and the USSR was not just steppes. There were dense forests and large urban centers, as well as rivers both large and small. In short, yes there will be plenty of reasons to bring out both games quite aside from the preƫxisting interest in both theaters.

BTW, I'd love to see a game set in Korea as well.

smile.gif

Michael

I should have been more specific. I meant would tank battles taking place on the steppes vs desert be significantly different. It seems to me that if CMBB covers every aspect of the fighting on the Eastern front then just about every type of tactical battle situation will be addressed. Speaking for myself of course, I'd find a game set in North Africa/Italy to be more of the same vs one set in the Pacific. Of course that won't stop me from buying every CM game that comes out.

After reading this thread, it seems to come down to the idea that some people find the anti-Japanese more "boring" than the anti-Nazi war. I believe this view is mistaken and indicates ignorance on the part of the posters who have made that claim, rather than necessarily the reality of that war.

I wonder if a poll was taken, whether or not that would in reality, as has been claimed, would be the majority viewpoint or merely the viewpoint of one group?

Here's another question - as I understand it, CMBO and CMBB will be completely seperate games. Isn't that a little strange? Will there be an effort to integrate the two, so that perhaps Korea, as another poster has asked, could be modelled?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ogadai:

After reading this thread, it seems to come down to the idea that some people find the anti-Japanese more "boring" than the anti-Nazi war. I believe this view is mistaken and indicates ignorance on the part of the posters who have made that claim, rather than necessarily the reality of that war.

I wonder if a poll was taken, whether or not that would in reality, as has been claimed, would be the majority viewpoint or merely the viewpoint of one group?

Here's another question - as I understand it, CMBO and CMBB will be completely seperate games. Isn't that a little strange? Will there be an effort to integrate the two, so that perhaps Korea, as another poster has asked, could be modelled?<hr></blockquote>

On the part of the people who don't want a Pacific War, likely a game done well, and in a different scale and scope than CMBO, would indeed be more fun than a very few people think, but if you read more carefully the comments you will find out that few people object to usch a game or think it is worthless, they just accept the reaons why BTS wont be doing it and understand that those reasons are valid. I suspect a BTS game on the Pacific would be eagerly bought by many people. Perhaps not enough people to represent a good ROI compared to other theaters (certianly the pacific theater was never a big seller for ASL and Pacific General tanked compared to others in that series) but it probably would make money like all other BTS games to date.

However, the issue is not that Pacfic War would be ignored by the buying public, but that there are more lucrative fields to plow before you start on the rocky pasture land in the hills. Past sales experience in wargames shows that the Eastern Front and the Desert will make money, and that is the next two, and that the early war is a good bet (Crecendo of Doom was a very popular game). By then it will be time to return to 1944-1945 Western Europe, followed by the rumored but in no way confirmed Korean expedition. That is more than a decade of development ahead with no room for the Pacific.

As to CM:BO and CM:BB. They are related engines, but with new models, textures, and according to Matt in the open forum (who knows what is happening behind the BETA curtain now) game play changes. However, it is not possible to just shake and back the two systems into Korea since they are merely closely related games, and not clones with new coverings. Korea would require another long development at a time when BTS will be setting its sights on a new engine that anticipates up coming technologies and hardware improvements.

Again it is important to remember that BTS is a small, low capital team of four people who work at CM as a labor of love rather than a as a large business. They are very similar to Bungie's in its Marathon days, before corporate success when to that company's. head. There is a limit to what BTS can do well, and since it is a labor of love, that is all they want to do is to do a small number of things well.

Now, if Lewis and Brian do make Pacific War I will buy it in a heart beat, but I wont fault BTS because they have good reasons not to make a Pacific game.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ogadai:

Here's another question - as I understand it, CMBO and CMBB will be completely seperate games. Isn't that a little strange? Will there be an effort to integrate the two, so that perhaps Korea, as another poster has asked, could be modelled?<hr></blockquote>

It's not strange at all when you realize there are a number of changes being made to the game engine that will make them incompatible, as Slappy said.

However, BTS has said they may release a CMBO/CMBB combination game, redone with the CM TNG game engine, sometime after CM3.