Need help/instruction in using batch files

There are some fantastic high res tank mods out there which use batch files to switch nationalities, etc., but I'm not sure what these are or how to use them.

Can anyone help me out, or point me out to a link/file with step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance,

Murph

The zips containing the mods have detailed instructions on how to use the batch files. Follow the instructions carefully and you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you intall the mods in the order in which they were released. You may want to wait for the ultimate Sherman pack to be released in the coming days.

Basically, you copy all the bmps into your CMBO\BMP directory like you would any other mod. Then you place the batch programs into your CMBO directory. Then you make a shortcut for each batch program. Then you associate the included icons with the shortcuts. You can place the shortcuts in a folder on your desktop for easy access. To use the batch files you load up a game of CM as you normally would. When you know which nationalities are involved for the Allies (e.g. British, Canadians, Polish, etc.) [there are also some German batch files for half tracks] you save and exit your game, go to your shortcut folder, and click on the appropriate shortcut(s). Then the magic happens. I don't know how these batch files actually work, but they just do. Then you load up your game of CM and the mods you want are there, ready to be blowed up real good.

Just to add on that, Marco is about to release the Sherman Full Pack. However, it only includes US, FF, and UK Sherman II tanks. Marco will rework the Sherman III/V and Fireflys, ie. add more detail and such.

As for the batch files and such. Here's what I do since I don't use the Mod Manger: I unzip the zips into their own folder and then I go VIEW the files in their folder. When a file has several optional versions, I find the one that I want to use and then I rename it to the "normal batch name" like 3330_us_opt to 3330_us. BTW, 3330.bmp is the hull side to the M4/M4A3. Then I copy all the standard _us, _ff, _uk, _ca, _po, _us_lv, _uk_camo, _uk_noncamo files into the BMP folder.

Then copy all batch files and icons into the root CMBO folder. Make shortcuts to the batch files, (right click on a batch file--select "Create Shortcut) This will create a generic MS-DOS icon shortcut. Then right click on the shortcut. Select Properties, then select the Program tab, then select Change Icon, Browse to the CMBO folder and select the appropriate Icon. Move Shortcut to a Desktop Folder as Pvt. Ryan suggested and whalla, you'll have a quick-access batchfile.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 02-28-2001).]

Originally posted by Murph:

There are some fantastic high res tank mods out there which use batch files to switch nationalities, etc., but I'm not sure what these are or how to use them.

Can anyone help me out, or point me out to a link/file with step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance,

Murph

Check out my 'Soon' to be released Mod Manager/Editor at http://www.geocities.com/mikekh123/mod_manager.html

It's almost finished but this version will not handle non-standard bitmap names like 3310_super_mk1. It may be a small fix to accomadate this type of bitmap name, if so I'll do it before release. If not it'll be the next version.

Mike

Also look for...

CM_Mods_Title.jpg

...an RTF doc coming soon (I hope) to CM Outpost. Sent it to DraGoon Sunday.

This "book" has a detailed explanation of using batch file mods, as well as the basics of mod theory and usage, using alternate BMPs, and a bit about CM Mod Manager. Must reading for the "mod-shy" biggrin.gif

- Old Dog