Bergman's not idle - PREVIEW of his coming Sherman II HERE

Marco Bergman is still down there in NZ hard at work on his latest mod - the Sherman II / M4A1 series.

Here's a little before and after comparison...

Original BTS British Sherman II:

Original2Sherm.jpg

High-res mod of British Sherman II, 4th Armor markings:

Marco2Sherm.jpg

Couple more pics at Old Dog's CM Central The CM Photo Gallery!

It's gonna be a sweet one biggrin.gif

- Old Dog

[This message has been edited by Old Dog (edited 01-16-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

If you people don't stop producing impressive textures, I might have to start using them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand this argument. I mean people (not you in general) complain about the graphic quality of CM and then there's nice hi-res textures out there and then people don't use them. Sounds like the whole hull-rotation issue. wink.gif I just don't get it. It's like, "GEE, I would really like CM to look better, I hear there are really nice hi-res (Sherman) textures out there, but I don't think I'll use them." rolleyes.gif I just don't get it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von Lucke:

So, um, Marco --- what else did you get in return for selling your soul to the Devil for all this talent?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but no sale. Which probably explains why I have no social life or girlfriend.

By the way, Old Dog is getting in early on this one; it's still a good week away from completion.

I myself dont use the modified mods people are making. I'm perfectly happy with what BTS has already provided. Some people just like to have proper historical markings of the various units in the war, some like to do it for artistic recreation. Personally I think its great for those that do make their own enhancements. It adds to the already great game that CM is. Between BTS and the Netizens there is a little something for everyone.

~Skott~

Maximus wrote:

> I mean people (not you in general) complain about the graphic quality of CM and then there's nice hi-res textures out there and then people don't use them.

I play CM at the highest resolution my monitor supports, which happens to be about the maximum the game will run smoothly at with my graphics card (1600x1200). Therefore I'm reluctant to install any high resolution bitmaps for fear of slowing the frame rate.

I think these modifications are very impressive, but considering I don't usually spend much time closely examining my tanks and buildings, I don't really feel they're necessary. It just so happens that CM allows you to zoom in and take a better look at things. I think fancy textures are more appropriate to the kind of games you play at low resolution, because you tend to get closer to them in that environment.

That's just off the top of my head – I wouldn't hesitate to gorge CM on these modifications if I had framerate to spare. Once I get a G4 maybe... =)

David

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Yo Marco its very nice. Hey I just visited NZ. Isn't it summertime there now? Was lots of pretty women when I was there. Very nice pic, nice with no white stars on the front or sides to draw fire, but reconition star on top. Needs a few 20mm and MG-42 dings if I do say so myself.

Marco ROCKS!

But I hate one thing in him, he made those Shermans looks so good that I have to use them frown.gif

And David, I play also with 1600x1200 (of course smile.gif and I have to say that after I have started using high-res mods (some low-res are good too and didn't Marco have some of his stuff as low res too?) I have to say that experience of playing CM has been even better..

Last week when my friend got his CM he brought his computer to my place and we played little network game and got chance to compare originals (also at 1600x1200) to my high-res stuff and it was amazing how much nicer stuff looked even from distance..

Not that original is bad, but it just doesn't have that detail best mods out there have.

You should try, get Mod Manager and you can easily remove those mods if they slow you down. And I heard that if you only get high-res vehicles&buildings and use low-res terrain stuff it shouldn't slow you down.

------------------

jK.MkIII

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Maximus wrote:

> I mean people (not you in general) complain about the graphic quality of CM and then there's nice hi-res textures out there and then people don't use them.

I play CM at the highest resolution my monitor supports, which happens to be about the maximum the game will run smoothly at with my graphics card (1600x1200). Therefore I'm reluctant to install any high resolution bitmaps for fear of slowing the frame rate.

I think these modifications are very impressive, but considering I don't usually spend much time closely examining my tanks and buildings, I don't really feel they're necessary. It just so happens that CM allows you to zoom in and take a better look at things. I think fancy textures are more appropriate to the kind of games you play at low resolution, because you tend to get closer to them in that environment.

That's just off the top of my head – I wouldn't hesitate to gorge CM on these modifications if I had framerate to spare. Once I get a G4 maybe... =)

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, strange twist on the arguement there David--"I play CM in 1600x1200 resolution and won't install hi-res mods for fear of frame rate drop." Nothing personal, but I don't buy it. I thought that people who run in such high resolutions like better detail? So you run in high res, but use low-res textures, what's the use? The game is better in a lower res but with high res textures, trust me.

As far as frame-rate drop. Com'on, I don't believe that for a second. If you would just back off the desktop resolution by one notch, you could install hi-res mods with little or no frame-rate hit. If there was a trade-off between better textures and a higher res desktop, I'd pick the better textures. You get more bang for your buck there.

And to say you don't spend much time examining your tanks and other surroundings, hell you're missing the best part of the game, IMO. If you play CM in view #4 (or whatever you do) all the time, you might as well go play an isometric wargame like West Front.

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LOOONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

"Boo points, I punch."--Minsc, BGII