New Overcast SKY!!!!!!

A solution for those of you having problems seeing the skies is to rename the images to 1430-1444, and resize them to be square. The 1430-1444 images that came with the game are 256 by 256, but if you want to, you could probably get away with using 1024 by 1024 (for no loss of detail). The skies are not a big processor hit... IIRC, if you don't make them square, they end up looking all blocky, or they just don't work at all (you get a white sky)

SurlyBen

If you change the size to 1024 by 1024, you shouldn't lose any detail, because you are actually creating a bigger file. For some reason it will still show the 1430-1444 series, even if the filesize happens to be bigger than the 1400-1414 series. No idea why. And as far as slowdown goes, you shouldn't experience a bigger slowdown than you would from running panzertruppen's buildings, or, say, one high resolution tank.

SurlyBen

Issues over the skies are splitting over three threads now, seems others are having problems too.

Will renumbering the skies make them 1024 etc or is changing that a separate process too? I have installed them as 1400 through 15 and am still getting old skies.

There are two things you need to do if you can't see the skies. The first is to rename them to 1430-1444, and the second is to resize them so they are square.

Right now they are 1024 X 256 pixels. If you want to see them without loss of detail, you'll have to open them up and resize to to 1024 X 1024. If you want them to be smaller and faster then 256 X 256 is a good size.

In windows you can resize by opening the image in paint, hitting CTRL+W (stretch/skew under the image menu) and selecting either 400% vertical or 25% horizontal, clicking ok, and then saving the image. If you have photoshop you would select "image size" under the edit menu...

Incidentally bmps 1400-1414 are in the same order as 1430-1444. Meaning that 1400 and 1430 are both daytime summer skies, 1401.bmp and 1431 are summer overcast (I think) etc...

SurlyBen

[This message has been edited by SurlyBen (edited 03-26-2001).]

Excellent - many thanks. Obviosuly not quite such an easy install are some are saying then. I just did the renumbering and they're loading OK, I'll do the re-size now. Presumably 1400 - 1415 exist in the original, why is that? To cater for different res settings I suppose? I was trying to work out why this mod needs tinkering with. What would you need to be running to just copy the files over 'as is' and get the new skies. Curious I'm afraid, can't get my head round this one.

SurlyBen - just before I start saving modified files, when I use Ctrl-W if I selct 400% vertical I get a massive picture that I need to scroll down to see and if I use 25% horizontal it goes to small postcard size in the top left of paint. Does it matter which I use? I presume it's not both? Thhose sizes would get me 1024x1024 I presume, what would I use to try 256x256?

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-26-2001).]

Forgot to add: don't use MS Paint (or whatever the name is) which is a part of windows install. If you have PhotoShop or some other professional graphic editor program, use that program. MS Paint doesn't stretch good, because it doesn't use some sort of dithering (or smoothing) when transforming. MS Paint gives you more pixelated picture (=bad looking).

I have an Adobe photo editor, not sure if that will do the trick. I've opened up a bmp but it doesn't accept control W and I don't seem to be able to bring up any kind of re-size window like I can in paint. I'll perhaps have a look through by CD freebies and see if there is another graphic programme.

If your PAINT program (whichever you have) has a RESAMPLE feature, use that INSTEAD of RESIZE to change the size of the sky textures. Resample is far superior for photo-quality picture "resizing."

256x256 works quite well for these textures in my opinion, leaving the skies looking better than the originals, w/o taking ANY performance hit.

------------------

"Fear is for the enemy... Fear and Bullets."

"They didn't want to come... but I told em, by jeepers, it was an order."