Help with Pavlov's House in CM:BB?

I'm feeling rather sheepish. I've played dozens of scenarios in both CMBO and CMBB, and consider myself a student of tactics.

Unfortunately, I am just getting my a++ handed to me over and over playing "Pavlov's House", and I can't figure out why it seems so easy for others.

I've played as the Germans vs AI, and ended with a Tac Defeat the first time and a Major Defeat the second.

The first time I tried to move my platoons through the buildins around the left wing to take the 13th Guards HQ then swing onto Pavlov's House. The problem is that once I face a concentrated Russian line in the buildings, I just can't seem to suppress the Russian infantry sufficiently using only the small arms organic to my German platoons. We end up in indecisive firefights, and if I emerge in the open, I'm cut down quickly.

If I smoke and rush across, my troops are cut up when they enter the buildings by waiting Soviet squads.

The second time I tried to move my Pioneers around the right wing, but they were hung up on the wire and minefields and cut to pieces.

What did you do to beat this scenario, and what are the general tactical principles for other urban fights that I'm clearly not utilizing?

Thanks,

Istari

I even got problems with this scenario and never finished it. But I remember how to divert or how to distract the enemy attention:

Spoiler!

Drive the Pz near the enemies infantry positions. Some of the russian infantry will engage the tank, first with their inadequate molotovs, later with grenades. This gives the german infantry some free area to maneuver.

I had decent success splitting my infantry and going in both directions. Don't push too hard and don't bunch up too much. It makes it too easy to have multiple units suppressed by one shooter. When you ID someone, pound them with heavy weapons or use demo charges. Take them out one at a time. There really is no other way in my experience.

istari,

I am a newbie and I have looked over that senario. I hope to play it as German and then as Russian. This should be a hard one for the Germans. Sgt Pavlov held that position with his Plt for 59 days before re-enforced. So as the German if I get my tail kicked it will be no suprise to me. I will let you know how it goes when I give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Played it as Axis vs AI many moons ago...won at least a Tactical victory....let's see what all I remember.

***SPOILERS****

Initial Plan (labels/directions based on Warhawk's map from the above link):

A Coy (west edge group) massed to dart south across the street under cover of a smoke barrage from the OBA (about all that < 105 mm is good for in urban fights). Then head east along the south edge.

B Coy and the tank platoon set up east of the road in the NW quadrant. Tanks are placed to be out of enemy LOS and will only move out once the infantry has had a chance to draw out/spot ATGs. They'll head east to the NE corner, then south to take the flag.

Assume that anyone stepping out into the big square is an idiot and deserves the bullet they'll get in the head.

Execution: Went pretty much according to plan. Surprises included finding out that the map editor can be manipulated such that mines and ATGs can be placed in buildings/rubble. Sturmoviks were a nasty surprise but could've done more damage than they managed. Russian AI had the habit of sending men out into the square to hop to the next building: ick! Progress on the left flank was slow but steady and really paid off. The engineers helped them out and I knew things were going my way when the FT teams started firing and the DCs started getting placed.