Just a question...

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post about something like I'm going to post in a few minutes...but i decided that I'm going to post it here...and get as many replies as i can...(bla bla bla bla) :D

Why there are not medics in the game? I think that this unit will make a big difference when you want to buy your units and stuff...

My idea about how a medic could "work" well in the game, is to have him something like the Squad Leaders, but in place of morale, combat, etc etc...he could decrease the chance of dying. I don't want that CM deferentiates the dead from the wounded...but if you have medics around your troops, you know that your wounded are going to "survive" and be "able" to fight some more.

I think that a medic could really (even staying correctly with the game rules) decrease the units mortability.

Any thoughts on that?

Maybe this same post has been posted before...

Maybe this feature is going to be included in the upcoming CM...

Maybe I'm completly wrong with my medic idea...

But has anyone some info and thoughts to share with me?

:confused:

Thanks in advance...

Take care everyone! smile.gif

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Aponos ]</p>

The difference between dead and wounded is not within the scope of CM. Each battle is a set-piece, and doesn't have any ramifications other than who wins the battle. There is not enough time for "wounded" to recover to the point of becoming combat effective, so for all intents and purposes a casualty is a casualty, regardless of whether it's a wound just severe enough to incapacitate or if the poor soul has just been scattered across the battlefield by a direct hit from a 155.

Now, not to disparage you excessively, but to make a serious point, the units you are describing are called 'clerics' and they're found in RPGs.

Within the scope of CM, they have no useful purpose.

Just like in war, people die, are wounded, and are of no consequence in the accountancy of combat other than as a debit. They may figure into the balance sheet of strategy, but they mean nothing in a tactical battle, whether it last 20 minutes, or 3 days.

Consider the scope of the game.

Perhaps the issue is also that it's only worth putting something like that into the game if there would be interesting tactical decisions to be made, as part of the gameplay about how to deploy the medics. But I can't really imagine that being the case. I predict that in future games, when every soldier is modelled and the visual 'filmic' quality is a lot higher, you will see medics and stretcher bearers, telephone poles, furniture inside the buildings, portly German officers with a monocle barking orders and civilians. But in a game like CM that stuff will mostly be eye candy. That's not to say it won't be great when it's ready (maybe in 10 years) but it won't be germane to playing the game.