Out of ammo!

In the new game will we be able to dispurse ammo amoung the squads that are low and next to each other. If you are dug in to hold a town or what ever you would have a store house of some type for ammunition. How will or are you going to fix this problem?

Not really a problem. Keeping an eye on your ammo usage is part of the game. If an opponent is wailing away at long range and then finds himself low on ammo when he really needs it, he should suffer for it, no?

And it's not totally realistic for another squad to willingly hand out their own ammo in the heat of battle.

Looking out for excessive ammo use is one of the things that separates the men from the boys IMHO.

Thank you for your reply. Though I am disappointed in it. Is that the only example you could think of where a squad might run out of ammunition. Or is that the strawman example you thought to use so you could knock it down. Or maybe your member number does not represent your experience. I have only been playing a couple of months but I can easily think of examples where this could occur. When you're approaching turn 30 and you have been in heavy fighting from heavy buildings, your ammunition is probably going to be low and if you bring in reinforcements with nearly full ammo, it would be nice to distribute that to another squad. Now to your second argument.

Do you mean to say that if you and 9 other men were low on ammo after 25 minutes of heavy fighting and 10 fresh men ran in they would not dispurse their rounds with you: would you rather have ten men firing at an approaching enemy with 40 ammo or 20 men firing with 20 ammo. In real life, I'd fight the guy who refused to disperse the ammunition, because the 20 of us with only 20 ammo will be fighting the 10 of you with 40 ammo. Now, how about a more thought out response.

MikeB,

I think it would be a great and historically accurate feature to be able to transfer ammo between friendly units in contact and redistribute it within a unit, just as I think it would be a great thing if at least basic ammo resupply were to be modeled.

It's intensely frustrating to have had a unit in heavy combat, then receive reinforcements, but still be confronted with the knowledge that your original men who are low on ammo or even out in the case of certain weapons have zero ammo added to their pouches by that reinforcement column of vehicles, nor can they get any from their newly arrived grunt buddies either.

The minor consolation that I can offer is that BTS has said it plans on increasing ammo loads in CMBB to 60 for standard infantry, while somewhat reducing it for SMG squads. Far from perfect, but still a major help. This will keep the infantry fully effective much longer than at present.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

Thank you for your response. Why not have a command to redistribute: If an HQ is present redistribution would be more even, if not it may be more haphazard. It would add reality to the game. Do they just not want to, or do time restraints not permit it with the budget they have for the game design?

Thank you

In alot of wargames the fighting force has chuck wagons or supply wagons/trucks to disperse ammo to units that are low. But this would be impractacle in a game like CM were the timing is in seconds. When a unit is low on ammo it still has some. If the unit were to stop laying down suppression fire to get an ammo distribution from another fresh unit, this could lead to quick forfieture of the position, i.e. enemy overrun. What I do in the low ammo situation is move the low ammo units back and advance the fresh units to the vacated position, Schnell!!!!