Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Air power in CMBB

One more:

Hs-192 actually saw services in North Africa, I have to look up the books when I get back...

B2T: I don't suppose there will be substantially differenct from CMBO, unfortunately. You may have entries like "fighter-bombers", "light-bombers" and "dedicated tank-kilers", etc.

May BTS shed light on this...

Let's not forget the ultimate airborne killers on the Eastern front: Finns w/ Hand gliders.

I've read an account where one guy with a bolt action rifle bagged 30+ tanks. Another guy flew from Helsinki to Vladivostok, dropped 4 500lb bombs on an ammo dump, then made it back in one piece.

Panzerjager Hs139

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1814. PANZERJAGER! Pegg, Creek, Bentley & Tullis. From the publisher who brought us JV-44: The Galland Circus, here is a comprehensive and detailed work on the Henschel HS 129 aircraft. It was conceived and bulit as a ground attack aircraft to support the infantry and combat tanks. As Soviet tanks became better protected, the HS 129 was continually upgunned to remain successful. This detailed work covers operational history, camouflage, markings, details of all units equipped with the HS 129, loss tables, armaments details, and first-person accounts of pilots who flew it in combat. This title includes hundreds of previously unpublished photos from private collections of veterans. HB/LF, 400+ photos, 15 color plates, 336p. Was $80.00, price reduced to $ 75

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have several questions on this topic:

I am curious as to actual employment of the German\Soviet tank busters being discussed on this thread. Was employment conducted while under direct control of air liaison officers on the ground? Or was employment more of a roving sort of approach…battlefield isolation sort of thingie?

Also, relative to game rarity what were some of the numbers involved here….hundreds of HS-129's…or less than 100? Same for cannon equipped Ju-87's.

Of additional interest would be methods of attack employed by tank busters…ie it is relatively easy to find Anglo-American P-47 or Typhoon pilots recounting dive angles employed while attacking ground targets, as well as typical ranges at which pilots would typically open fire with cannons, mg's, rocket projectiles, etc.

References to any commentary would be appreciated. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Duquette:

…ie it is relatively easy to find Anglo-American P-47 or Typhoon pilots recounting dive angles employed while attacking ground targets, as well as typical ranges at which pilots would typically open fire with cannons, mg's, rocket projectiles, etc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you provide the link, please?

Links? I'm talking real references ;) (kidding)

"Down to Earth: From the Zenith to the Deck Eighth. Air Force Strafing Tactics, VIII Fighter Command". Apparently published in very limited quantities in England in May 1944 by the U.S. Eighth Air Force. Basically it consists of narratives of twenty-four veteran pilots of P-38's, P-47's and P-51 who disscuss air to ground attack tactics on anything from: tanks and trucks, to locomotives, airfields, flak towers etc.

You can get a reprint of this report from Merriam Press.

Also try Desmond Scott's "TYPHOON PILOT"

United States Army Air Force, XIX Tactical Air Command. "AIR-GROUND TEAMWORK ON THE WESTERN FRONT: THE ROLE OF THE XIX TACTICAL AIR COMMAND DURING AUGUST 1944. AN INTERIM REPORT." Concentrates on XIX TAC operations in support of 3rd Armys breakout from Normandy and operations in Brittany etc. Great detail on use of USAAF in support of armored breakouts

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: Jeff Duquette ]