Spotting and Targeting?

I'm not trying to knock the CM engine, hey for those that only the messages: CM IS CURRENTLY THE BEST GAME ON THE PLANET. I'm just curious how it works.

I've a question of targeting - and how its related to spotting I guess. I tried mixing a couple of 'zook squads in amongst an infantry squad. I figured that it would be harder for the tank to target the AT teams. I got busy and when I went back the AT teams were history, but the infantry squad was still around. Is this an expected result of the CM engine - or was I unlucky?

I've been trying to think of some scheme to fit between 'area fire' and 'taget unit' and all I got is a headache. So I was planning on posting "here's a solution", but I ain't got one.

Jasper said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I've been trying to think of some scheme to fit between 'area fire' and 'taget unit' and all I got is a headache. So I was planning on posting "here's a solution", but I ain't got one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're not fully understanding CM's philosophy on this score. The key thing is that a player doesn't have constant hands-on control over his units. The player gives orders once a minute that express what he wants his units to do. However, during that minute, each unit reacts to its surroundings and, while it tries to follow player orders as much as possible, it will often deviate from them in the interests of self-preservation.

CM's spotting system is an integral part of this process. Depending on range, time under observation, visibility conditions, enemy unit activity, and friendly troop quality (and probably other factors), what you and your units know about enemy units improves over time, usually in the course of a turn. For example, an enemy unit can go from invisible to spotted but identified only as to general class (armor or infantry), and then be identified more and more specifically (from infantry to AT team to elite bazooka team, for example). As this new info comes in during the course of a turn, your units will take it into account and adjust their behavior.

So, in your situation here with the grunt squads screening the AT team... At first, the tank probably didn't see anything. Then it probably saw all the enemy units as "infantry?" Eventually, however, it was able to determine that some of these units were AT teams. At that point, it decided to kill them first because they posed the biggest threat.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.