Dynamic Flags? Whats the Point of this?

Good question really. IIRC, the Dynamic Flags were the ones that the attacker could choose as to which one he wanted to attack, right?

Yeah, not very useful when you get right down to it. I mean it is, but as for keeping the "gamey" aspect to a minumum which seems important now-these-days, I don't think anybody uses Dynamic Flags in their scenario design.

Thanks, Maximus.

They are a bit puzzling, and I'm not sure if a commander in WW2 was ever told:

"Captain, there are three objectives here, pick any two of them when you get down there and look over the ground. Then let us know what you decide."

So, Im wondering what they are meant to simulate.

Also, does anyone know if the AI changes its behavior at all when confronted with Dynamic Flags?

Hi Terrence

Not sure I know the answer, but I think they simulate the defense having to defend on a broad front. That way, they don't all bunch up around one flag or one area knowing that that is where the attack will ultimately end up. With no knowledge of the objectives, the defense is forced to defend everywhere or give up the objective and plan a counterattack once the real objective is determined.

However, since the defender is already severely disadvantaged in an assault or attack, further crippling them by not giving them knowledge of the objective areas seems sadistic smile.gif. Having said that, I've been wanting to try out dynamic flags on the defense to see how hard it is.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

As others have said, it is a list of possible objectives. On the setup that side can choose which of the objectives they want to go for. This can make a scenario interesting. Highway to Hell has this feature if you are the German Attacker. People who played it two person or as the Germans liked the option. Hope this helps...

Rune

Didn't we fool Hitler with a fake army (I think something about this is coming on the History Channel tonight as a matter of fact).

We made him think we were going to attack at Coern and instead we attacked at Normandy.

That seems to me like a good example of Dynamic Flags.

I played "Drop To Destiny" and was shocked to see that the Dynamic Flags were visible to the ATTACKER !

I was sure it was going to be for the defender. And I think it would make a lot more sense for the defender, as well as helping out defense, which seems much more difficult than attacking.

Originally posted by Windopaene:

I played "Drop To Destiny" and was shocked to see that the Dynamic Flags were visible to the ATTACKER !

I was sure it was going to be for the defender. And I think it would make a lot more sense for the defender, as well as helping out defense, which seems much more difficult than attacking.

Surely the point of dynamic flags is that the attacker knows what he is going to attack, but the defender doesn't. How many wars do you know of where the attacker had sent a note to the defender saying "make sure you defend this piece of land old boy, because we're going to have a go at it tomorrow"?