Map Conversion Procedure

i searched the forums with `create map` but couldnt find anything so . . .

can anyone give me any pointers as to how to go about converting a 1:1500yds map in a paperback to a CMAK map ?

the area i have is 1.4k * 3k (town), but i think that it is way too big for one battle. any advice on how to scale down effectively would be appreciated too.

You may pick a smaller portion of the map, depending on why you are wanting to use that map. Or then you could use the map with wrong scale, but that might look funny if you go too far (reducing heights in the same proportion might be in order). Either way, you should try Mapping Mission (although it doesn't as of yet support CMAK, but it will...).

Thanks for the replies.

the terrain i was looking to recreate was the defence of the continental hotel at Cassino by the 2D NZ.

i thought the pouring rain, poor visibility and generally destroyed condition of the town around them would make for a good (if somewhat visceral) game.

Added to that, their lack of AT creates a nice counter to the weather being in favour of the defender.

i think after your comments regarding size, that it would better to scale down by a large degree, and maybe concentrate on the area around the hotel.

would anyone be able to point me in the direction of good aerial/other/any photo archives covering italy in this 44/45 period ? (if such a thing exists that is)

Not actually tried to use a large scale map - think that will only give you a general impression of the terrain.

I find that with a sketch map, it can help if you put a grid over it - you may have to photocopy it first! This will help a lot when you copy the map as it easy to do a small square.

I also find it helps to copy the road and river networks first. If you get these it then they act as a guide for placing everthing else.

Slappy is right, put in the major terrain features (roads, landmarks, special groves of trees, swamps, lakes, etc) first. Then arrange them to ensure they are in good perspective to their distance from each other and that it feels 'right'.

Once I have that down, I begin to add the contour lines, one hill at a time. Then I constantly refine the map to ensure it matches the real terrain. I find photographs of the actual area to be very valuable at this point.

jw