Squads jumping off the map edge

I moved a platoon up the side of the map, very close to the edge, because that was the only safe route. The platoon got crowded at the destination and two squads moved off the map edge. Are these squads gone from the game? Is this a bug? I didn't instruct them to move of the map. The AI did it.

Strat

It's the risk of map edge hugging-- you can fall of the world. I managed to force at least a platoon of my opponents troops off the map in the first battle of an op. Those guys are gone forever...no replacements, no more ammo, nothing. Like they were picked up by aliens.

It's ok to be fairly close to the edge as long as you aren't under fire. Keep the squads spread out a little so that they don't end their movement orders too close together. But if they get shot at, they're likely to run off the map edge for safety, without realizing that they'll be taken up to the mother ship.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Many references have been made in this forum about the how hugging the map edge is "gamey" and unfair to the defender (or to the attacker). But you guys point out the real risk of losing otherwise healthy troops if they have a momentary panic attack. It seems the risk offsets the benefits of any potential map-edge hugging strategy.

------------------

"Act after having made assessments. The one who first knows the measures of far and near wins - this the rule of armed struggle." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

WARNING:

This post intended for mature audiences with fully developed senses of humor. Author not responsible for consumption of this post by those persons suffering from missing or atrophied funny bones.

I can only think of two things that could make that happen:

You issues an absolutely insane order with sure and painful results to your men, and they would rather jump into pixel oblivion than carry out that order.

Or you were playing like "a gamey bastard" and the troops got so ashamed of their leaders intentions that they decided they could never go home to their virtual wives and children and recount stories on how they had won the war using such gamey moves and committed pixel suicide.

------------------

To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee...

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 03-02-2001).]

You're exactly correct on this, Herr Oberst. IIRC, BTS added this feature in the anti-gamey-bastard patch (1.56b - b for bastard). In addition to running off the map, your men will also flip you the bird if you give them a gamey order (provided you have the right bitmaps loaded on your system). I'm sure it took BTS a lot of time to redesign the game to include all of those polygons to model a perfectly rendered bird, but it was well worth it.

wink.gif

Strat,

Your two squads just showed up in my game as reinforcements, and not a moment too soon. Do you have any armor you can send over as well?

------------------

"What do you know about surfing, major, you're from God damn New Jersey"