too many heros!

ok, I've only played the demo (I order teh game, it just hasn't arrived). CM is great. But when I tried cranking up the enemy force 100% gets tiresome.

Why?

Because I get charged by a bunch of green volksgrenadiers smgs. If these were fresh units I could see it. But I get charged by units that have already taken 75-90% casualties before they even charge. This is absurd and it happens consistently. Heck, even elite units shouldn't have that kind of morale.

Is it different in the full version?

It's still fun, but awfully gamey.

- xerxes

If that smells like week old road kill don't go over to tournamenthouse.com. That is the name of the game over there.

We over at the CMHQ are very good about not doing that, espcially when you ask for a decently realistic game. or check out

http://www.tournamenthouse.com/CM/CAL/THCAL.shtml

The CAL rules were created to try and prevent that sort of thing.

I never played the demo, but in the full version you can choose the experience level of the troops. The AI still does gamey things, like rushing you with vehicle crews and mortars, but the full version is greatly improved over the demo.

However, the real question is why are you forum member #869 yet you still don't have the game?

heh, good question. I registered ages ago when I read about combat mission. But, when the demo came out my poor lil computer couldn't run it. Just upgraded, got a new 3d card and it's all set to go.

I like low registrations too. I was #600 in myth:soulblighter.

- xerxes

Mr. Johnson,

You dump on TH and in the next sentence you are posting the link!?!

Do we not all set up the game parameters before playing? Is this not a two player game?

You obviously had your butt beat too many times at TH and now complain that your opponent was in some way gamey. This must explain the loss(es)?

All us (800) players use rule sets. Dates, 75mm etc.. but when you play top 20 players expect to get your shinny ass beat under any rule set.

Before each game is played everyone asks his/her opponent what params he/she would like to play. I see it every day, so don't tell me TH is gamey.

Getting beaten to a pulp every game can be a bit tedious. I would suggest playing others within your own skill level before smearing TH's name.

Anyone I have played will play under any rule set. If I sound like I am taking this personally I am!

I have seen players with 10 wins 0 loses on TH (playing newbies) try the top 20 players with, and without rule sets. They lose once, twice, three times and get so mad they come here and spew BS!

All the losses I have had, and I have had plenty are my own fault. To blame TH for your loses is total @#$@.

Abbott, myself and many others developed CAL@TH but still I hear the crap. Get a grip, stop whining and start winning a few.

What do I have to do? Ask for my opponent to not send piets out on a suicide mission and spend the first 10 turns running around my front lines?

This is a tactical simulation last I checked, not a "use anything that works to win a game".

But I guess I won't be going around repeating my views on the subject. I'm sure their are lots of great players at TH with attitudes like yourself.

Is this not the same Mr-Johnson that played a game last night against JimmyMeatWhistle?

It was an attack defend, you defending, JMW attacking with -10%

Turn 2 JMW sees a scout car running up the side of the map, straight into the hordes and certain death. I guess that's an ok tactic? not gamey in the least?

HAHAHAHHAHa

Yobobo, you are funny. Really, Really funny. I would have played you even if you used your real name. And I did not know you had 2 75mmHT and 3 large SPGs, all I saw on the hill was 4 infantry. And thats a worthy target to stick a .50cal behind and ruin their day.

yobobo, what has gotten you so rilled? Everyone has their own opinion, and it seems to be that Mr-Johnson thinks that TH players use more game tactics than military tactics. It's his opinion so what? Although, I do have to question you as to why you have to post under a different name?

Already checked out the tactical guides, great stuff! The tips section of the forums had a really nice overview of sharpshooters too. I'm plowing through the manual, lots of interesting tidbits. I like the technique of using a company HQ to sight for a bunch of onboard mortars that are protected behind a hill.

I think I figured out at least somewhat the answer to my original question. When there's only 1 guy left in a unit it doesn't mean the rest are dead. It just means they've decided fighting isn't for them.

Still, when you're the last guy in your squad willing to fire your weapon are you also going to charge the stone building where 40 of your comrades fell? :shakes head:

- xerxes

Yeah, after I read that I realized that the smg volksgrenadier actually had very good morale and poor training. That probably explains it. I was trying a scenario with polish regulars and they behaved more how I'd expect regular troops to behave.

I was also in low ammo condition with all my troops and that's why my fire was less than effective at stopping them.

I'm trying the Desoy operation as teh allied defenders, it's great.

-xerxes