desert mod website is up and running

Mike,

Could you send me the Rommell Icon and the replacement DAK BMP's?

Thanks

Apache,

The game plays fine. There's no lock-ups. There is a set of maps that have no units on them but those were purposesly presented that way and they're a separate download on the DFDR site. There are five scenarios which you download separetely. Get it man, it is AWESOME!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clubfoot - I know what you say re another version of m/man but I've gone for the two separate installs of CMBO. Or, are you saying that I should be able to switch the M/m with regard to the locations of the exe and mod locations and just use the one m/m. When I tried that I couldn't get back to my normal CMBO.

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-25-2001).]

Apache,

What I was trying to get at (and none too clearly, sorry) was that if you intend to use the Mod manager to run DFDR, you don't need a seperate install of CMBO. Just put the zipped DFDR file(s) in the CMBO/Mods directory in your original CM directory, fire up the MM, and turn the mods on. When you're tired of the desert, use the MM to turn them off and reapply your defaults.

Hope that helps.

Another point of interest. Alla Keefek has sent in some DFDR unit portraits that are really sharp. Expect to see them later today at the site.

------------------

Clubfoot.

melton1911@aol.com

Do it in the desert at www.dfdr.net

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 03-25-2001).]

Clubfoot - thx, getting there now. I presume the best way would be to use modmanager to install Core files, BTS updates, MDMP1 and 2 and THEN DFDR. Any others you'd recommend for the DFDR pack (other than the specific units, vehicles of course). As you say, on returning to CMBO (normal) I could just deselect the DFDR mods and re-install all the others. I still think the separate install might be easier though.

Where would I put (or even do I need) the terrain maps (as opposed to scenario files)?

I'm obviously not doing something right here. I have created a separate install of CMBO. I have dowloaded the complete zipped file and copied contents (inc JPGs to the bmp folder). I have then copies the scenario folder seperately and copied contents to the scenario folder. I presume that's not right, I get the opening screen, no units and a lock-up. What am I doing wrong? My mission folder shows the 30 or so asl maps rather than named scenarios.

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-25-2001).]

If left in it's MM compatible zip, the big mod file doesn't have to be decompiled to overwrite any of the terrain or other files.

The next version (2or3 days out) will enable some special options such as multiple open ground choices (coastal/deep desert vs. the more earthy Tunisian tiles) and force conversion choices (Italians Attack! and Vichy French) as well as scenario specific terrains (sandbag walls vs. rock walls, typical buildings vs. specialized scenario specific ones and so on).

This will allow anyone who wants to change, say, the large light buildings to aircraft hangars for an airstrip map or lg. hvy. buildings to factories for figthing in El Alamein industrial area to do so. Stick your alterations in a .zip file, throw it in the mods directory, and put a note in your scenario briefing to "turn on" the Scenario Specific Mod in the MM before you continue with the mission. This will enable people to greatly individualize their scenarios.

------------------

Clubfoot.

melton1911@aol.com

Do it in the desert at www.dfdr.net

I just posted a bit of advice so people who downloaded the broken up mod set will know that there is two sand sets for hi-res, one overwriting the other if you install all the terrain mods.

I post here to ask the question as to why this was done. Was there supposed to be an option? I'm glad both were there, but it took me a moment to figure out how to get the "original" look (as in lo-res setup) for the hi-res setup.

By the way, I like the lighter set in terrain mods 1, 2, and 3. The one in 9 is different, but too pinkish for my taste. Lot of folks will be missing out on the lighter ones and will jump to the conclusion that the "pinkish" sand is all there is. Can you guys do something for this?

Great job folks. Extraordinary full conversion mod. Top notch!

The lighter terrains are for coastal and deep desert areas, the more earthy set for the broken ground of Tunisia. The lighter terrain is found in the first few dfdrcft zip files. The darker is found in the dfdrmtt zip. These will be offered as options in the Mod Manager in a day or two.

Sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

------------------

Clubfoot.

melton1911@aol.com

Do it in the desert at http://www.dfdr.net

Thanks Clubfoot,

I just noted the difference in mod file names. Was hard to spot.

Don't forget, many of us do not use the mod manager, instead having a very nice set of batch files to handle all our mod swapping pleasures.

I like the idea of the darker and lighter sets. Just keeps getting better. I now know how to handle this and I'll write a batch file to switch between the two. I'd like to have both sand sets in the game, fantastic option.

Again, wonderful job on the site and mods. The DFDR crew has further secured CM as one of the greatest WWII tactical games ever released that will stand the test of time.

Kump earlier on I had planned to use CMBO winter numbers for sandy terrain, Clubfoot's tiles being snow it should be spongy like soft sand so that fit, and summer terrain as the more rocky hard packed terrain that I submitted. However in a email converstion with CLubfoot I realized that the mod manager could take care of that for us. Now this should be covered in the design document that is submitted last night. With luck that will make things clearier.

MikeT

------------------

www.dfdr.net for desert mods

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

- Motto of Possum Lodge

Just downloaded the full set. Great work. However, the road in trees has the purple spots where the trees are supposed to be. Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug? Using Mac Mod Manager.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Another problem with the mod so far is the problem with the explosion -- they are just white triangles on my screen. Does anybody notice this also, or is it just my own problem?

BTW, can we change the terrian text? You use "tall pines" for "rocky" terrians. I understand it could be hard-wired into the engine and cannot be "hacked".

Nice work and keep it up!

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Get the CMSOD at Combat Missing Command Post (CMCP) at http://www.angelfire.com/games3/CMCP/