Bergman's Full Sherman Pack....how do I use it?

All of you must think me an awful ass for being so completely ignorant, but I must confess that I haven't the slightest idea how do use the batch files. I read the Read Mes that came with the file, but they don't seem to make much sense. Can someone tell me what to do first?

Well, if you don't use the Mod Manager here's what you do.

1.) Copy the batch files and icons to the CMBO root directory.

2.) Make shortcuts for all the batch files except for usandff.bat and cmnwlth.bat.

3.) Change the generic MS-DOS shortcut icon to the appropriate icon by doing the [right-click, Properties, Program tab, Change Icon, and Browse method]

4.) Go through the mod folder, (the folder in which you unziped the mod into outside of the CMBO/BMP directory) and you'll see a bunch of the files have the same number but with different extensions.

5.) Click on each file to see what the graphic is. You'll need to rename any _opt file that you want to use to the standard _us or _ff, or _uk extension. In other words, if you want to use the file listed as "_us_opt1", first rename the "_us" one to "_us_opt2" or something similar and then go back and rename the "_us_opt1" to "_us".

NOTE: There are a few files where if you use one you'll have to use another one. ie. The M4A1 and Sherman II, as their hull front is split and if you mix and match the two different options they won't look right. See the readme for which files I'm referring to.

6.) Copy ALL files that have "_us", "_ff" and "_uk" extensions into your CMBO bmp folder.

7.) Place those shortcuts into a folder on the desktop or something so you can access them easily later.

8.) Now to put Free French markings on Shermans, just double-click on the FF shortcut and after a few seconds, you'll have FF markings on the Shermans in-game. Do this BEFORE you initiate the "Loading 3D graphics" screen by ESCing out of CM.

The process is very simple really. If you can do simple Windows file management, you can handle this.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 03-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 03-23-2001).]

Guest barrold713

Assuming you are using a PC I can't really provide much better advice that would not just be repeating the README file. But I'll give it a shot anyway. If you have a mac, I have no idea

Essentially the process is to copy the bmps to the bmp folder and the other files to CMBO.

Make a new short-cut to the batch file by right clicking on it. Rename the shortcut to something that makes it obvious what it does.

Right click again on the new short-cut and select properties. From the program tab (I think that is right...anyway it is the 2nd tab) hit the change icon button. Browse to the CMBO directory and select the appropriate icon for the batch file. I also select the 'exit when finished' option.

Repeat process for each batch file.

It is useful to then create another folder in which you can put all of the shortcuts in, so that when needed, all the shortcuts are easily available in one convenient place.

When playing a scenario, if you know the nationality you want to play, just double click the appropriate shortcut and the batch file will copy the correct bmp file for the vehicles...works great...lasts long time.

Hope this helps, this is a great mod.

BDH

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Two things:

One, why must I make shortcuts to the batch files?

Two, I didn't understand what the Read me meant about the Sherman II and the US Shermans. Could someone tell me what I need to do in this case?

There's no need to feel bad about not understanding the arcane art of MSDOS batch files: they're a real esoteric field.

One, why must I make shortcuts to the batch files?

The 2 batch files that do all the work need to have a commandline parameter to work properly eg: for the USA Low-viz batch the correct full command is "usandff.bat usa lowviz".

These parameters are set by the little start-em-up batch files. You don't NEED to set a shortcut to these if you don't mind double-clicking on them in Explorer. I just find it more convenient to have a group of shortcuts in a folder on my start menu.

Two, I didn't understand what the Read me meant about the Sherman II and the US Shermans. Could someone tell me what I need to do in this case?

The US and UK versions share turret textures. Therefore when you have the UK texture set installed, any US Shermans will have a green turret instead of an olive drab one. ( and vice versa.) If you don't mix nationalities, then this isn't a problem. If you absolutely must have US and UK forces in one game, use the plainpack which colours ALL the tanks the same way to avoid this.

Hi Bog,

What Max and Marco said.... biggrin.gif

I'm e-mailing you a copy of my CM Mods "booklet"...

CM_Mods_Title.jpg

...which I think DraGoon is planning to post on CM Outpost soon. It explains the above in more detail and in addition has some background on how and why mods and batch files work the way they do.

Hope it helps.

- Old Dog

Thanks for your help, guys, I got the pack running! Ahh....sweet graphics...Sherman nirvana.

Now, I have another question. The FullPack didn't come with Canuck or Polish graphics, but it DID come with MS-DOS programs and icons for them.

So...can I download earlier Bergman mods of Canuck and Pole Shermans and use them with the MS-DOS programs I got?

YEs you can, Bog. But note that the earlier mods also contain batch files which are OUTDATED by the one's you have installed when you put in the new Shermans.

When you get the older mods, copy all the BMP files (as-is with suffixes) into your BMP folder, but DO NOT copy the batch files into you CMBO directory.

Everything should be fine if you do this.

- Old Dog