Is the Challenger visually mismodelled?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally quoted by David Aitken:

"In line with most of the Allied armies, the British used a large range of Lend-Lease items from the USA. These have been mentioned but not described as full details can be found in the companion volume the US Army Handbook 1939-1945 (Sutton Publishing, 1997)."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh. Great way to sell another book. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>From first impressions I would recommend the book. Even from leafing through it I have learned a lot. It has a lot of hard data, and seems to be very thorough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I may have to pick this one up then.

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

A fine visual exhibition, David - I've certainly learned a bit about the Challenger from this thread.

Not to derail the intended purpose of said thread, but I've often wished for the twin, pintle-mounted Vickers 'K' MG Jeeps, to use in CMBO with my SAS boys.

Jeep-Mounted Twin Vickers Pix

Of course, i can only hope for their inclusion in CM3's North African theatre, but I believe one can make a case for insertion in NW Europe beyond '44 as well. Certainly, during Market Garden, the 1st Airborne intended to use them (of course they were lost in glider crashes) and I've got pictures of these twin Vickers Jeeps with Commandos in Wesel, Germany as well. Of course, not a big deal, but - it would be nice to see them - and they'd make the now sloth-like Vickers a bit more mobile...

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Different weapons. The Vickers 'K' was a gas-operated weapon developed for use in aircraft observer positions, originally. The "Vickers" is a modified Maxim recoil operated weapon. Indeed, there is only one real major difference between the Maxim and the Vickers - the Vickers breaks upwards, the Maxim downwards in operation (or is it the other way 'round, I misremember).

The SAS operated in NW Europe with Vickers 'K' armed Jeeps, behind German lines. Popski's Private Army operated in Tunisia and Italy with .30 cals and .50 cals, usually one or two of each, although they were aircraft, rather than ground versions of the weapons.