Extreme case of friendly fire in CM.

Here I am playing an operation where there are 3 pillboxes grouped together in some city streets. The current battle is at night. I take a platoon of crack British Airborne troops around to the rear of the pillboxes.

The troops use their Gammon Bombs to take out the pillboxes. The turn ends as the 7-man crew of the last pillbox exits the pillbox. Upon the start of the next turn, the whole platoon opens up on the crew. However, I had two squads between one other squad and the escaped crew. To my dismay, the squad in the rear totally decimated the other two squads in front of it. Killing an entire squad of 10 and only leaving about 4 in the other while losing 4 soldiers itself. So here I was, I lost 20 soldiers in trying to shoot a 7 man crew at point blank range.

So the moral of this story is to keep your units out of other units line of fire at night. Especially at close range.

Anybody else have anything similar to this happen to them?

Nope, but I have to admit that is a pretty slick outcome. I hated having to suspend belief on a night time mission, knowing that the AI would display "super night vision" powers and treat the display as if it were high noon.

As the "What are you doing?"* guys like to say..."this game exhibits granitlike qualities.*"

(*Whazzup!-This game Rocks!!)

:rolleyes:

I had a called in a 150 mm rkt strike and had a flak wagon, three platoons of troops some HQ types and an od panzerfaust or two and the strike was right on for deflection but several hundred yards short and i lost all of that in that salvo. and it really put a hole in my assualt

Ah-ha...that's what happened to me the other night.

I was playing the Bruyeres scenario included on the CD (night mission). My German troops had just taken the left hill/small flag, and they ran past some foxholes.

Then 3 zook teams (amis had +25%) popped up in the foxholes right in the midst of my troops (after killing an HT)and my guys shot themselves to pieces in the process of shooting the zooks. Put a big damper on the next phase of my attack.

Received from my PBEM opponent :

I like the way your troops fire at their own MG positions... something they learned in basic training ?

Of course I thought he was either bluffing or joking. But no, one of my squads actually have their backs to the enemy and are shooting at a friendly MG some 100 m away and in their rear !!

Common point with the previous posts : night combat.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Anybody else have anything similar to this happen to them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. I tried to play Fionn's British Airbourne scenario that comes with the disk several times when I first got the game. It seemed like uncontrollable mayhem and I finally gave up on it. The Germans could easily see and slaughter the Brits, but the Brits couldn't see each other apparently. They also had this disturbing tendency to rush dug-in MGs and get slaughtered that way as well. Not a fun scenario to play from the British side, though in all fairness to Fionn he does advise the player to take the German side.

Michael

In one of the very few games I have played with the Germans, I was rushing my HTs and a couple of StugIIIs towards the remains of the allied troops that were hiding in the opposite shore of the river in Son, after securing one of the bridge heads.

After two or three turns of shootout -read 'carnage', two airborne squads started running from the woods and towards the bridge in a last attempt to capture one of my positions. I chose to keep pushing forward and ignore them, since my hull-down vehicles on my side of the river would wipe them out as soon as they stepped on the bridge.

The funny thing is that they never even got to the bridge, as an American .50 cal I had not seen started firing like crazy and totally eliminated both squads. :confused:

It was the first time I ever saw friendly fire happening in CM, apart from my astonishingly inaccurate artillery barrages. :rolleyes:

Since then, I always put special interest in keeping my lads tightly together and under command by experienced HQs when fighting at night.

The best thing is that I got to learn from my enemy's error :D