A good single player system:

Tired of easily defeating the a.i. in quick battles? Try this single player system and see if it improves the computers chances.

The basic idea is to set up a quick battle so that YOU purchase the units for the computer while allowing the program to randomly purchase your troops. You also use dice or cards to randomly determine the date and terrain.

For example, if I want to play the allied side I would do the following:

1. Change the Type under both sides to UNRESTRICTED.

2. Under Axis change purchase units to ALLOW HUMAN

3. Change battle type to MEETING ENGAGEMENT

4. Force size to 1,250 points

5. Map size to SMALL

6. Roll dice or draw cards to randomly select the date. (important!)

7. click OK

8. Roll dice or draw cards to randomly determine map type, tree coverage, and hilliness. write down each one as you select it. (very important!)

9. click OK

10. Choose Allied and click OK

11. Purchase units for the computer based on the terrain that was selected.. ie.. more cover = more infantry..... more open = more armor etc.....

12. play game.

The challenge here is two-fold. 1) find the right force mix for the computer and 2) Defeat that force with randomly chosen units that may or may not be right for the situation.

Obviously a lot of other things can be varied but this system has worked very well for me so far. Let me know what you think.

George III

[ 04-22-2001: Message edited by: George III ]

Good ideas.

Another thing that may help is to avoid confrontations between vehicles on both sides. That's obviously one of the most fun parts of the game, but let's face it, the AI, especially in QB's often handles vehicles incompetently. To avoid easily KO'ing all the AI's AFV's, set it up as an infantry-only battle, or just give the AI the combined arms force with vehicles. Actually, I just tried the latter in a defense QB, and I smoked all eight or nine AI vehicles (tanks and HT's) just using a Bofors, a 57 AT gun, and a 105 howitzer :( and smile.gif

Of course, using your suggestion, you could give the AI all übertanks to help with the problem. Part of the problem with purchasing for the computer, though, is that, even though you don't know what your forces will be, you know precisely what you'll be facing, which is vital info.

You can also play a scenario designed specifically for play against the AI ;)

Here's the description of one called "Rotten Hill" If you're interested - send me a mail and I'll send it to you. It should give even a veteran player a hard time if he deviates from good tactics tongue.gif

"This scenario is for Human vs AI only. Human takes Allied.

The idea behind this scenario is 3 fold:

1) It will give you an opportunity to use & experience the 14" & 7" masterblasters :) Just beware!! - Keep your troops well away!

2) You'll get to use the AVRE's - very usefull against bunkers, but their range is very short

3) You'll have to deal with extensive minefields and bunkers - look after your engineers!! If you don't know how to remove mines with engineers it might be adviseable to set up a practise scenario first smile.gif

So stick to the basics: Scout; Bombard; Scout; smoke; remove mines - be patient & Good luck - You'll need it ;)

I like those suggestions. I typically give the AI +1 experience, +25% troops (or I take -30% troops), but at least some of this handicap is to make up for the fact that the AI is not great at picking forces.

I have played against the AI where I bought units for it (and then I bought mine), and the battle *was* sort of close, despite the fact that I knew what the AI was equipped with. This did detract a little bit from the battle, as I knew when all of the Panthers, say, were gone. But it was still a better battle than not knowing what the AI had, and what the AI had turned out to be lame.

I suppose the ideal situation would be to either have someone else pick the AI's equipment (although if you have someone to do that, why not just play them?). Or for there to be some sort of "directed randomness," where you would enter things that would influence the computer's selection (like Panther or Gebirgsjaeger), but it would make the actual selection.

Another thing you can do against the AI is to play Green troops, and have the AI play Normal (which gives it regs or vets, and if you give it a +1, you'll be playing against vets or crack). This is fun because it neutralizes one advantage that humans have against the AI - the ability to immediately recognize important terrain/turning points and quickly react. You will still recognize these points/moments, but you won't be able to capitalize on them effectively without moving deliberately and making sure that you have all the supporting weapons you need.

One of the most realistic and challenging ways to play the AI is to do the following.

(1) Pick "probe".

(2) Be the attacker.

(3) Choose Green troops for yourself and let the AI be normal.

(4) Give the AI +1 experience and take -30% attacking strength for yourself.

I routinely beat the AI, even handicapped, in other battle types, but the AI sometimes still decisively smashes my attacks under these conditions.

Picking the AI's forces might make things even more difficult. Picking open terrain will make things extremely difficult.

Wow great feedback smile.gif

Andrew, that is a good idea to change your troops to green and give the computer a +1 advantage. I think I'm going to do that from now on - Im also going to try your probe attack set-up later today. I also sent Biltong an email for that senario, thanks guys .

I too am very frustrated with the way the a.i. handles armor in qb meeting engagements. I have played with the q.b settings and tried purchasing different force types for the computer. By using a small map I have found that it keeps the computers forces closer together and the armor doesnt get seperated from the infantry as much. Also if the terrain is more open and flat I will buy a couple of AT guns for the a.i..

If you guys have any Ideas to help the computer use armor in a meeting engagement I would like to hear them. I am also curious if anyone has found a particular force mix that the computer uses successfully against you. For example: I dont purchase artillary or halftracks for the computer because it doesnt seem to handle those well, hmmmm air strikes maybe? smile.gif ....

I also think its very important to choose the terrain settings in a random way (dice or cards) - this forces you to play on maps with terrain combinations you may not be used to. It also forces you to try and find units that the computer will be succesfull with on those maps.

Thanks again, George III

One could also create a battle in the editor using the "parameters" section to assist the AI in dealing with more advanced players. The key is to place a very low point value on a good number of "small VL flags" here and there. This way the AI isn't usually overly concerned with the VL's inasmuch as it is destroying your key assets. Also as stated in the tips and trick forum placing an exit zone behind each corresponding enemy line also seems to help.

smile.gif