Minimum computer specs for hi-res mods?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Urban Shocker:

Thanks guys! I'm close to Marco so it sounds like I can get by with the vehicle mods but not the terrain mods.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe

check this out: I have a Pentium 166. Its not even MMX technology. I have 32 MB RAM and a 16 MB Video Card. CM with a ton of mods runs seamlessly on my computer. The only difficulty I have is 3000 Point and up QBs and some bigger operations.

I think I have the minimum so far. Any takers?

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Get yourself a 32 to 64 meg video card and you won't have any problems. This is more a videocard tetxure memory issue, rather than a cpu thing. You just get choppy framerates.

blitz is correct. The hi-res mod thing is more of a video card RAM thing that CPU speed. If you have 32MB or more on your video card, then the hi-res mods work fine.

I have a Celeron-433, 128MB RAM, 32MB TNT2 Ultra and the game runs fine, but it does get a little choppy sometimes as the graphics try to load as you spin the cammera around. I intend to go to a T-Bird or Athlon 1 GHz pretty soon with at least 256MB RAM. New video card will come later.

And even for grass, I download and install the hi-res grass, except I shrink them down to low-res dimensions. So for a 512x512 pixel grass tile at hi-res, I just shrink them down to a 256x256 tile and then run a sharpen filter over them and you can't tell any difference bewteen its hi-res version and its smaller one.

Because what a hi-res mod is, contrary to what Tiger believes, wink.gif is a texture file blown up to twice the size of its original which give each pixel in the original a new pixel of 4x4, hence the file size becomes larger, so therefore your video card is bogged down with a higher sized file. The amount of detail that a file has in it has nothing to do with if it is hi-resed or not. When you blow up the size of the file, creating that larger 4x4 pixel, it allows the artist to fine tune the detail better, if you will, as you might imagine.