Why use the BEST?

Being a frequent visitor at this BB, I have read SO many posts concerning peoples favorite tanks/TDs/ACs (and so on). Doesn't anyone share my opinion that it's more fun to use average, or downright BAD, vehicles?

This of course only apply to QB games where you can select what vehicles to buy. For example; why buy a Priest to blast buildings apart, when you can buy the M8? Sure the M8 will get popped by anything larger than a rifle bullet but doesn't that make it more interesting? You have to scout ahead, find those AT-guns, pin that 'shreck team, and make the infantry keep their heads down THEN roll up the M8 and blast the enemy out of his positions.

The M8 is just an example, but I hope you get my point.

Not to sound critical, but all those examples you mentioned (schreck, AT guns, infantry) will poke that Priest in the eye almost as quickly as the M8. There really are no foolproof uber-vehicles. Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but it sounds as if your contention is that you can roll said Priest (or any other heavy AFV) right on past those aforementioned defenses with impunity which is simply not the case.

Clubfoot.

I'm not saying that the priest is invulnerable, but I DO say that the 50mm extra armor DO increase it's survivability.

It's not only a question about armor either, the priest has a 105mm gun, the M8 only 75mm.

The point I'm trying to make is that the priest (just an example) is better than the M8, and because of that people tend to buy a priest rather than a M8. And I'm saying that it's more challenging to use the M8.

...but I can see your point too. When reading my original post you can get the impression that I think that the priest can be used without consideration to enemy AT-capabilities, which I of course DO NOT believe.

I'd wager that CM players choose far more M8s than Priests in QBs. I sure as hell would, and my opponents appear to. I class Priests as average or downright bad.

The closest I get to ubertanks in PBEM is an occasional Panther when the mood is right. Never used a Jumbo. I think I bought a Churchill VIII once.

i like stugs and panzer ivs...'course they look the best of all my tanks cause of the mods(thanks tiger)

priest is highly vulnerable. but it is still fun cause u got a big gun and lots of ammo.

on occassion i buy vanilla sherms (but they almost always get whacked)

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

I see. That being clarified, I would agree that lighter vehicles are much more enjoyable fare for a friendly quick battle.

My personal favorite small armor would have to be the Lynx.

Just ask your opponent if he or she would like to try using some force restrictions.

Clubfoot.

Actual the priest only has 13mm front upper armour and can be popped by 20mm rounds. The M8 HMC has 38mm/29mm front armour and can take 20mm hits.. plus its a smaller target and harder to hit, and its faster: thus its a more survivable afv than the priest. Also its only 58 points and its fast rof makes up for the priests larger HE blast. Just goes to show you there arnt that many "best" afv's around... its all in how you look at a units and use them to thier strengths...

I LIKE using weak-ish units. I get more units that way! I always thought quantity can indeed beat out quality in the right hands.

Sometimes, I dont use any bloody tanks at all! I like playing all infantry battles. You are not a CM'er until you assault a AP Gun possition backed up by a heavy building full of infantry with 60 metres of "no man's land" all around it using nothing but infantry and artillerly! Man, that gives me a rush. Especially when I actually take said positions biggrin.gif

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"