Question fo all those "Finnophiles"

I was wondering whether Finland, during the Second World War,purchased any Swedish Stridsvagn m/40 light tanks. It's well known that Finland was always short of AFV's to counter the Russian hordes so it seemed logical they could have purchased those Swedish designed tanks from their friendly neighbour.

Also, if any of these tanks were procured, how did they perform?

Regards

Jim R.

No. During 41-44 there were 77 tanks&assault guns purchased from germany, 361 captured from soviets and that's it.

Actually, during those years someone decided it'd be a brighter idea to sell weapons to Sweden, not the other way around. I fail to see why.

Originally posted by bfamily33:

and also procured, without the Russian's consent, quite a few T-26s.

Procured ? I quess that is one way of putting it. :D

They were tresspassing and all violators were prosecuted. Some were found quilty and unable to pay the fines their vehicles were reposessed or remanded to the Finnish army.

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: tero ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juha Ahoniemi:

I don't think so. Finland purchased a few Landsverk Anti flak vehiches (one is at armor museum of Parola quite near my home)from Sweden, and they were only AFVs from there AFAIK.

Juha<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then there was that single armoured car. Can't remember the designation right now.

Originally posted by bfamily33:

That camo scheme on that site served as the basis for this Finnish Stug:

Looking good. (The scenery should perhaps be a summer scenery though as the camo scheme is a summer scheme.)

A few pointers: Finnish Stugs did away with the remote control MG so the shield should be the older type while the loaders hatch can the newer type (hindges in the sides, not front and back). The MG itself was traded for a Russian DT (the MG-34 was wrong caliber and deemed not as reliable as the DT).

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: tero ]

tero, I tried to change the MG to the Sov DT type but it didn't really work. The MG has a top bmp that I couldn't find. Also the same MG is used on the German halftracks and I decided not to pursue it further since it would require bmps to "correct" when the gamer switch to Germans from Finns.

You are also right about the shield but that cannot be changed, it is hardcoded.

MikeT