Question on infantry tactics

Keeping this short and simple, what good are pioneer infantry? Every time I've had them in smaller (1000 pt or less), they seemed to be the cause of my defeat. Not only are they expensive, but they seemed to get creamed easily. Is this just bad luck?

Pioneer is the German equivalent of Engineers.

They are OK as a general purpose squad, although they pack slightly less punch than the Rifle squad.

Their biggest advantage is the demo packs they are carrying. They can demolish, pillboxes, clear minefields, destroy houses, but you can't control when they use it.

They are more expensive because their platoon organically has flamethrowers, for close combat purposes, e.g. city fighting.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ksak:

Pioneers, engineers, sappers are very useful in city fighting. Wait for the Stalingrad knife fights in CM2 and you'll learn to love 'em.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. Use your longer ranged infantry weapons to suppress enemy infantry and close assault with "heavy" squads like pioneers or SMG squads. Know your weapons.

------------------

"He belongs to a race which has coloured the map red, and all he wants are the green fields of England..."

- Joe Illingworth, Yorkshire Post War Correspondent