Italian/European railroads in 1940's - elevated rail grade or flat?

Almost all railroads I´ve seen are built on a bed of crushed rocks, about twenty centimeters of high and around double that under the soil level.

It depends heavily on the terrain, drainage and annual-rain-index. Main problems are karstic soils and others with little consistency. Heavy rains dissolve them, when drainage fails to prevent eroding.

Do a search on Google Images, using "ferrovia" -and ignore the brazilian pictures-.

Here is a modern pic

Ferrovia Lugano-Ponte Tresa, cerca de Orcesco

Please reformulate, if you question remains unanswered.

well my question isn't what is best. It is what was done.

For instance the roads in France weren't usually paved in 1944, but they are now.

So in practice were Italian railways elevated to any significant amount (ie at least 2.5m) in 1943-45? Was the terrain heavily modified for the trains, or did the tracks wind around to best suit the existing terrain?

Being as the railway engineers of the early 20th century weren't a bunch of dummies, they would do what is best. More to the point, the lines laid then are still in use now.

The way I do it is to pick a railway level for the map, and then make cuttings and embankments to maintain this level.

The majority of flat ground in Europe (at least, the bits I've seen) is by rivers (on the flood plain) Obviously, if you don't want to lose your tracks, you raise them up and have frequent cluverts and bridges to let water underneath.

Originally posted by dugfromthearth:

So in practice were Italian railways elevated to any significant amount (ie at least 2.5m) in 1943-45? Was the terrain heavily modified for the trains, or did the tracks wind around to best suit the existing terrain?

Even modern trains cannot climb anything higher than a 2% - 3.5% grade as that is maximum climb rate they can handle. I'm not sure what that translates to in meters though.

[ December 28, 2003, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Panzerman ]