More random thoughts on possible additions to CMBB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clinton:

5.) Ability to have a movement setting which allows all units selected to advance only as fast as the slowest unit(having a front line of riflemen,MGs, Flamers,with tanks behind them advance at the same pace to maintain the infantry screen in front of the tanks)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be the "Move" order

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

6.) lower profile unit bases. (I like to see my units easily with the unit bases on, however the big bright boxes cut off a small section of the units making them look very weird. Could they be changed to a less intrusive transparent base maybe like a circle and star for US ans ect.? I know they are hard coded but I think this would really add to the game. Right now the bright green bases look odd, I think that the semi-trans and unit specific would contribute to a "table-top" esque feel.)

Clinton<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget that the size of the base is an indicator of how much area the unit fills.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Cuccia, the PiggDogg:

(2) Units seek & utilize nearby cover without explicit orders [related to smarter AI].<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful what you wish for. In the opinion of some people, the TacAI is rather too quick to abandon positions and seek out nearby cover. Especially when the only nearby cover is occupied by strong enemy forces. Try playing a night/bocage battle sometime. Also, what if for example you're trying to move infantry down a draw or other covered approach and your men keep moving up out of the depression and into woods or buildings in LOS of the enemy? Changing the way the TacAI works is opening a big can o' worms; there are liable to be significant unintended consequences.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Cuccia, the PiggDogg:

(2) Units seek & utilize nearby cover without explicit orders [related to smarter AI].<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful what you wish for. In the opinion of some people, the TacAI is rather too quick to abandon positions and seek out nearby cover. Especially when the only nearby cover is occupied by strong enemy forces. Try playing a night/bocage battle sometime. Also, what if for example you're trying to move infantry down a draw or other covered approach and your men keep moving up out of the depression and into woods or buildings in LOS of the enemy? Changing the way the TacAI works is opening a big can o' worms; there are liable to be significant unintended consequences.

Oh yeah, I forgot...what about allowing purchase points in canned scenarios? I could be wrong about this but don't pre-made battles already have units attached to them by the designer?

Myself...I'd like to go find a nice attack/defend map on Combat Missions and yet have me and my opponent pick our own forces. I'm sure not every map designer wants the burden of choosing the units either. Some might just want to make the map and leave it up to the players to pick forces.

Please think about this BTS. This seems like one of those things that would offer a lot of advantage with very little work done by the programmers.

Oh yeah, I forgot...what about allowing purchase points in canned scenarios? I could be wrong about this but don't pre-made battles already have units attached to them by the designer?

Myself...I'd like to go find a nice attack/defend map on Combat Missions and yet have me and my opponent pick our own forces. I'm sure not every map designer wants the burden of choosing the units either. Some might just want to make the map and leave it up to the players to pick forces.

Please think about this BTS. This seems like one of those things that would offer a lot of advantage with very little work done by the programmers.