MODS!...One CM website owners view

Manx

I have recieved quite a few e-mails lately questioning the Mod submission policy on COMBAT MISSIONS; principally concerning the phrase - "Only high-quality, useable mods will be accepted".

Why did i put this?. Well, IMHO, there is little point in hosting mods that basically don't improve over other mods that have been made. For instance - i have spent hours & hours attempting to produce mods but the end result of my endeavors would add little to the game and no-one in their right mind would want to d/l them and use them over what's all ready out there and so i'm not going to release them and waste disk space on my site or anybody else's. If i manage to improve my modding skills and i think i might have done something that others would like then that might change.

Personally, i would rather host 10 good mods, that i think people would like, than 100 mixed/bad ones that people are never in a million years going to want to d/l. And besides, there's only so much webspace available without going silly and having to pay big bucks to buy huge amounts. Without having a panel of judges saying what's good and what's not i have to make some sort of decision on what goes in and what doesn't.

I know that this probably sounds as if i'm being "elitist", but that's not the case. I hope i'm just being practical and honest.

Yours thoughts please!

My 2p

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - Resources For Combat Mission

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 02-18-2001).]

It's a necessary policy, but you would do well to reword the sentence "Only high-quality, useable mods will be accepted."

You may instead want to say something like "All sumbissions gratefully accepted; unfortunately due to a high volume of submissions only a minority of submissions can be accepted to be hosted on this site."

I think that would minimize the chance of hurt feelings, and also cast you in a much better light.

My .02 worth.

Manx,

I totally agree. Like for instance, I don't think the "Christmas Tree" mod was worthy of server space. Actually for that matter, the tree on CMHQ with the cow drawn in it really didn't derserve server space, IMHO.

But yeah, this is one major reason why I haven't released any mods as of late, because my skill hasn't improved enough to warrant replacing what others have done.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

I have no problem with the number of submissions, but it IS all a question of mod quality. I will gladly host as many as possible if they improve the CM gaming experience.

I agree that the phrase could be classed as being terse, but it does put the fact of the matter across as briefly and to the point as possible.

------------------

I send my stuff to Manx becuase he offered at one time and he gets stuff posted pretty quickly (and I heard he was kinda far-sighted smile.gif ). I certainly never asked him to put that phrase there. Manx has my eternal gratitude for hosting my mods as I know it costs him out of pocket. I used to send all my stuff to Madmatt's CMHQ but as he got hired by BTS and problems with his web-hosting service, his time for CMHQ seems to be quite limited.

John

Originally posted by Tiger:

I send my stuff to Manx becuase he offered at one time and he gets stuff posted pretty quickly (and I heard he was kinda far-sighted smile.gif ). I certainly never asked him to put that phrase there. Manx has my eternal gratitude for hosting my mods as I know it costs him out of pocket. I used to send all my stuff to Madmatt's CMHQ but as he got hired by BTS and problems with his web-hosting service, his time for CMHQ seems to be quite limited.

John

You can send anything Canadian my way. I have no life and update my site every time I get something tongue.gif

------------------

Charlie don't Surf

shadow@jagdtiger.de

http://www.orbitonline.ca/~Shadow/index.html

Originally posted by Tiger:

John

Tiger...One day you might release a dud and i'll have to reject it!!! biggrin.gif

------------------

Seriously though...i'm not trying to set myself up as an expert on good mod taste or anything, especially when i can't even make a decent one myself (why do you think i've been trying to get someone to write a mod tutorial for the last 3-4 months!). smile.gif All i'm saying is that, and again this is just my honest opinion...i really do think that hosting mods that can't live with whats already available (and i'm not just talking about the mods on MISSIONS) is a waste of time, because no-ones going to d/l them and all their going to do is gather dust, taking up webspace.

I hope to be able to host Tigers mods just as long as he wants to use the site, because it is widely acknowledged that he produces quality work. But then again - he has put the time and effort in, and he deserves great credit for what he's done so far, although i'm still trying to figure out how he can produce about 5 quality mods a week!.

If other people can produce stuff of a similar standard, then i will be more than happy to host their work too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 02-18-2001).]