Fionn's Short 75 Rule and Artillery

Yes I did a search smile.gif.

I'm currently in a PBEM using the full Short 75 rules including the artillery restriction of 105mm. I'm fairly new to PBEM and my opponent is even newer. We were wondering what is the accepted equivalent limit for British artillery. 4.2 inch is actualy 106.68mm, so would you folks say this is excluded or that it's close enough to 105mm to be allowed. My opponent isn't objecting to my 4.2 in spotters, but we'd both like to know if there's anything definitive that's accepted in the PBEM community.

Guest Space Thing

Here ya go Firefly.

This is copied straight from the rugged-defense site. (I included his short summary.)

Artillery

Artillery should not necessarily be included in the rules below, but in many ways limiting artillery size inevitably follows from the application of these rules. For example, if playing to the 'Short-75 Rule', it would seem a little off kilter to purchase 300mm+ artillery to simply blast the enemy apart. Fionn Kelly suggests the levels of artillery consistent with the various armor limitations should be as follows:

1. Recon Rule - has its own specific limitation of up to and including 81mm calibre

2. Short-75 Rule - allow up to and including 105mm calibre

3. Panther-76 Rule - allow up to and including 155mm calibre

SUMMARY

Despite the above so-called 'rules' and limitations listed here, it is still up to PBEM opponents to choose what type of CM battle they wish to play and the rules by which they wish to play them. These guidelines can be either helpful or just plain irritating depending on your point of view.

Whatever rules you choose to play by, just be sure your opponent agrees with all of them before starting the battle. Proper communication beforehand is the key to safe and happy PBEMing.

Originally posted by Space Thing:

Here ya go Firefly.

This is copied straight from the rugged-defense site. (I included his short summary.)

Thanks, that was what we were playing by, but due to my faulty arithmetic I originally thought that 4.2 in was less than 105mm so I didn't warn my opponent that I considered them to be within the rule. As I say he's not making a big deal about it so I was just asking for future reference what the general feeling was.

I just had an e-mail from Fionn saying that he intended 4.2 in. to be included. (Thanks Fionn).