Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

BER Facts Discovered

I've been playing with the BER and learned something interesting. If you set a game say to 20 +/- 2 the BER will ALWAYS call for a ceasefire by Turn 22. I ran the test on 30 different files. In other words it will always call a ceasefire by the last turn you set the QB for in the game. In our example above the only thing that could EVER happen on turn 22 is that both sides would give Ceasefire orders. In effect, the game only lasts a maximum of 21 turns. This is what happens if you check the BER at the BEGINNING of the turn. Also important, using the example above, is that when checking the BER at the beginning of a turn you can end up checking it 5 times. The BER does this.

Now, if you do like I am doing and check the BER at the END of a turn you get an odd situation. It is possible that you would be due to check the BER after the game has already ended! The BER still has one check left on it but the game is over as far as the CM program is concerned.

This tells me that the BER is supposed to be checked at the BEGINNING of a turn. Using the example above we would make the first BER check between the turn 17 movie and the turn 18 orders phase. IOW, the beginning of turn 18.

The most interesting thing is the fact that a game set to go a max of say 22 turns is really only a 21 turn game at the most. Turn 22 is simply a ceasefire turn which results in an AAR screen with no movie for

any other orders given in turn 22.

Another way to put all this is to say that when using the BER the game will ALWAYS end in a mutual Ceasefire at one point or another unless somebody surrenders early. If you want a game to go 20 turns +/-2 you should really set the QB for 23 turns and set up the BER file for 21 +/- 2. This way the earliest the game could end is at the COMPLETION of turn 18 and the longest it could go is to the COMPLETION of turn 22.

This is what we intend when we set up a game for 20 +/-2, right? Turn 23 would simply be a ceasefire turn with no movie if it went that far.

Now read this again if you're thoroughly confused. It's hard to explain because it IS confusing. LOL!!!

Teach or BradleyH will correct me if I'm wrong about this in some way. I'm not reporting a bug or complaining. I'm just explaining how the BER works for those of you with thick skulls who may have been baffled like I was. If you don't use the BER, at least for QBs, you're missing out on a great deal of fun.

Treeburst155 out.

[ 07-15-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]

Hi Treeburst. I was about to go to bed but decided to check this forum one last time when I saw your post here. I know this is somewhat confusing in how we decided to do this last turn deal. The BER will always end the game on the last turn. You can do as you suggest and add another turn to the game if you care to. This question was posed to use about a month ago....here it is and our reponse. We are probably willing to change BER if you all want it that way..but read this first.

From Chuckle:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Now, some thoughts...

say you have a 5 turn game, +/-1, the BER will say 'Battle Over - Cease Fire' on any turn of 4, 5, or 6.

I think it should say 'This is the last turn, ceasefire NEXT turn.' instead .

As it is, the way it reads, you will never get to play the 6th turn, the last turn would be 3, 4, or 5.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now my reply:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As far as your first words about the changing the comments in the BER to say "This is the last turn", we see your point. Keep in mind that the whole purpose of the BER is to surprise the players on when the last turn arrives. This is done in order to prevent the flag rush. Given the limitations of the BER with respect to its inablilty to "interface" and "control" the CM game file, combined with the concern about turns that you state above, we do not recommend that anyone use a variance of +-1.

If we changed the BER to say "This is the last turn" we give the players the ability to rush a flag down to the 60th second of the last turn. We dont want that. So (using your example) you check on turn 4, BER says go on. You do turn 4 and then go back to the BER on turn 5 and check. BER says go on. You have that last turn and that is it. Otherwise, you give the player notice at that time that he has a full two turns to use and we dont want that to happen. We want the BER to tell you on turn 5 either GAME OVER or PLAYS CONTINUES. That way, you get it as random as we can give it. Correct me if I am wrong. For now on, just factor that into your understading of the BER and your games and you'll be fine. Again, pose any suggestions to the contrary and we will look at them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thread can be found in its entirety here:

Chuckle's suggestion in thread

Let me know what you all want.

Regards,

TeAcH

Hi TeAch!

I missed that thread completely. I like the BER the way it is now so there is absolutely no warning of which turn will be the last. It is easy enough to set up the game with an extra turn for the Ceasefire orders. Keep it like it is!!

Treeburst155 out.