COMBAT MISSIONS: Unit Tactics-M3/M3A1 Halftrack

For those that aren't aware - i am attempting (attempting is the right word!) to compile a web-based dossier on the tactical usage of the units that can be found in CMBO.

While countless historical documents, accounts and statistics exist on these units, i would like to get away from all that (as important as it no doubt is) and concentrate more on how these units perform within CM itself. BTS have (as closely as possible) made them as historically accurate as they can be anyway....so - How good are they at the role they are supposed to fulfill?. How do YOU make them "tick" within the game?. What tactics work with them....what don't.

Again, any and all feedback is much appreciated.

btw - The Hetzer will be posted on the site shortly.

TIA

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

Mobile MG's for supressing and/or mopping up from a distance when enemy AT assets are eliminated.

A way for weapons teams to keep up with running troops.

A means for reserves to be rapidly employed at critical moments.

A refrigerator, because they collect enemy rounds like magnets wink.gif

------------------

To refrain from imitation is the best revenge. --Marcus Aurelius

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gremlin:

A refrigerator, because they collect enemy rounds like magnets wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll remember the last one. Good stuff. hehe

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

I have tended not to buy halftracks recently, as all they tend to do is deliver your infantry far ahead of your main force, but without adequate support.

That said, if you DO buy a halftrack, then they can get your troops from A to B in one piece, and after the halftrack has fulfilled its main duty, it can go on to provide a mobile machine gun nest.

Another not so well mentioned use for the halftrack, is to hunt down AT guns from the flank or rear. The AT gun crew cannot possibly bring the gun to bear on the M3 halftrack because the Hun crew is pinned under MG fire, and eventually the gun will be abandoned.

===

BTW I was pleased to see that you used some of my text for the Tiger on your units database. Excellent stuff.

Suggestion: include ammo loads, as this is factor for people, for example when buying SP guns. Otherwise good content and excellent presentation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

Another not so well mentioned use for the halftrack, is to hunt down AT guns from the flank or rear. The AT gun crew cannot possibly bring the gun to bear on the M3 halftrack because the Hun crew is pinned under MG fire, and eventually the gun will be abandoned.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well of coarse this is a good role if you drive your HTs and other fast units behind enemy lines like the gamey bastard you are.

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M. Bates:

I have tended not to buy halftracks recently, as all they tend to do is deliver your infantry far ahead of your main force, but without adequate support.

That said, if you DO buy a halftrack, then they can get your troops from A to B in one piece, and after the halftrack has fulfilled its main duty, it can go on to provide a mobile machine gun nest.

===

BTW I was pleased to see that you used some of my text for the Tiger on your units database. Excellent stuff.

Suggestion: include ammo loads, as this is factor for people, for example when buying SP guns. Otherwise good content and excellent presentation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will use that as well. Good stuff!. Thanks smile.gif

I'll look into the ammo loadout/stats. This is an on-going project anyway. Anyone can feel free to add new comments to the units anytime they like and i will add to each units data as and when they do.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - CM News, Supplies & Resources

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

In addition to the above I use them for blitzkreig type assaults.

This requires a fairly large force and is more suitable for Operations or larger Battles.

Having suppressed the objective (both direct and indirect fire) I have them follow the armour on the approach (at best speed), just short of the position (100m) the tanks peel off, the halftracks halt and the infantry debus and assault the forward edge of the position. The halftracks and tanks provide covering fire from the flanks while the infantry move through the objective. Finally the tanks move past the objective and take up position to prevent possible counter attack. Good idea to get the HTs away from the objective at this stage as it will probably come under artillery fire.

Most AP fire will be directed at the tanks, don't get the HTs too close to the objective or you will lose them to 'shreck or grenade attacks.

They are also useful for quickly moving reserves from flank to flank (behind your own lines) in most weather conditions.

------------------

Remember:

Always end your lay in elevation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well of coarse this is a good role if you drive your HTs and other fast units behind enemy lines like the gamey bastard you are.

Jeff<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliment!

(Still sore at losing 3 Hetzers in quick succession, and seeing my Hellcat get away scot free?)

People forget the need in larger games for a reserve, which is a good place to use Halftracks. In reserve they hide in some woods out of sight (be careful, arty loves HTs) holding a platoon or two of infantry. Your main forces duke it out, and like most games the tanks are killed off as are the AT guns and the arty gets fired. Then, you pull out your tracks to bust a fragile place in the enemies line. They can also plug a fragile place in your own line. Since they are very mobile, have lots of ammo, and are protected against small arms they are a perfect ace in the hole reaction force.

The halftrack's natural enemy is the light tank. An M5 with its fast firing gun can really beat up a halftrack charge, as can a Lynx. Many players buy all heavies and forget that a few lights can really cause the enemy some problems if not forced to fight outmatched.

German halftracks have a special problem, and that is the M2HB. The M2HB, with a high ROF and strong hitting power (the .50 was afterall, an antitank round first) make mincemeat out of light armored units such as the 250 and 251. The M2HB is still in fact tasked with taking out enemy APCs in the USMC and US Army.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slapdragon:

People forget the need in larger games for a reserve, which is a good place to use Halftracks. In reserve they hide in some woods out of sight (be careful, arty loves HTs) holding a platoon or two of infantry. Your main forces duke it out, and like most games the tanks are killed off as are the AT guns and the arty gets fired. Then, you pull out your tracks to bust a fragile place in the enemies line. They can also plug a fragile place in your own line. Since they are very mobile, have lots of ammo, and are protected against small arms they are a perfect ace in the hole reaction force.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd second this. I have often used a platoon loaded into halftracks to perk up a faltering offensive. Particularly useful once you have scoped out your enemy's dispositions and dealt with his AT guns, small flak, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The halftrack's natural enemy is the light tank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also armored cars and light flak.

Michael