Mac Questions

This really isn't as 'off topic' as it may seem and I do have a genuine reason for asking.

Excuse my ignorance about all things Mac, but...

Do bitmaps and wav files have the same file extension as they do in Windows, ie .bmp and .wav ?

Is the Mac filesystem similar to a UNIX system, ie there is just a root and all physical hard drives are just part of it, or

does the Mac see different drives as separate entities as windows does, ie C:, D: etc.

How many of you Mac users have a Java virtual machine on your Mac.

The MOD packs that you download; does the Mac do any processing on them (other than Unzipping) before they are ready for use?

[This message has been edited by KiloIndiaAlpha (edited 02-05-2001).]

The extensions are not necessary on mac.

In mac filesystem there's two files for every file, one real and one containing the file info stuff.

All drives are separate and appear on the desktop with their (user definable) names.

I assume most have Java ability, it comes with the system.

Mods require a whole bunch of processing, but it's automatic using the mac mod managers.

Aieeee, well, I run PC Combat Mission at home, but at work I have a Mac (no, no Combat Mission at work), so I can answer some of your questions.

Bitmaps and wave files will be recognized and played by a Mac if you have a fairly recent version of Quicktime installed. Quicktime does come with most Mac OS's but you can always download the upgrade from the Apple website.

The new MacOS X due to be released in March is based on the linux kernel, so it's file structure is the same, but has been hidden in the GUI interface, although I haven't had a chance to get 'up close and personal' with it. The current generations of the Mac OS treat each volume separately whether they are virtual or physical. i.e, if you have a 10 gig hard drive partitioned into 3 volumes, a CD Drive and a ZIP drive, and a floppy drive, the MacOS will treat them as 6 separate volumes. An icon will appear on the desktop for each volume, in the case of removable media, this means a ZIP cartridge, CD, or floppy will only appear when the media is inserted in the drive.

I do not have Java virtual machine on my Macs, and am not familiar with it.

It is my understanding that you should just be able to expand the compressed file, drop them in their respective folders, and away you go. A note of caution, the Mac version of ZIP is called Zipit!, and I have had some problems in converting PC Zipped files with it. You might be better off using the latest version of Stuffit Expander, which seems to do a better job.

Hope I haven't lost you on any of this.

Bart

------------------

"I have slipped the

surly bonds of earth...."

Well, that Mac version of CM doesn't use BMPs and WAVs, it uses resources, which is the more 'Mac-like' way to program.

The mod managers do all of the converting (and placing the converted files into the right resource files) automatically though.

Another quick correction to Barticus' post, MacOS X isn't based on the Linux kernal, it's based on a BSD kernal (I think, I just know it's not Linux :P )

I think most of recent versions of MacOS (from at least 8.6 or so) have Apples Java runtime stuff installed by default.

Ben

Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Another quick correction to Barticus' post, MacOS X isn't based on the Linux kernal, it's based on a BSD kernal (I think, I just know it's not Linux :P )

Ben

Oops, my bad, thnx for the correction.

Bart

------------------

"I have slipped the

From Apple.com:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/inside.html

Darwin’s DNA

At the core of Darwin is a key component called the kernel, the pivotal component in the operating system that handles most of the interaction between the operating system and the hardware. The system’s kernel is based on Mach 3.0 from Carnegie-Mellon University and FreeBSD 3.2 (derived from the University of California at Berkeley’s BSD 4.4-Lite), the most highly regarded core technologies from two of the most widely acclaimed OS projects of the modern era.

However, it's still just a dirty MAC! wink.gif

(I'm an MS slave. Can you tell? tongue.gif)

No, Mac OS X sounds really cool.

My only problem:

If I hear ONE more person call it OS X, as in the LETTER X, I'm just going to haul off and beat them. IT'S TEN!!!! biggrin.gif

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...

------------------

"If you find yourself alone, riding through green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium, and YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD!"

[This message has been edited by I/O Error (edited 02-05-2001).]

Originally posted by I/O Error:

However, it's still just a dirty MAC! wink.gif

(I'm an MS slave. Can you tell? tongue.gif)

Hrm, maybe I should put this in language you're more used to:

(l337) mAc OWNZ j00! mAc=HaX0r PC=SuX0r!!!(/l337)

biggrin.gif

(yes, this is a joke...)

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Originally posted by I/O Error:

My only problem:

If I hear ONE more person call it OS X, as in the LETTER X, I'm just going to haul off and beat them. IT'S TEN!!!! biggrin.gif

OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!! OSX!!

(heehee)

:)

------------------

"I have slipped the

The Mac JVM is an extension that boots rather than a programming layer in the classic OS 9 environment, which has been a serious downer on the Mac for years since Java runs slower there than ironically Wintel machines.

The MacOS has never had to map drives by letter the way PCs do, which is a holdover of how they boot. The MacOS boots first to a software "ROM" that starts counting hardware attached to it and fixing them dynamically to a system by handing them addresses as they come on line. It does this to be plug and play. PCs now have a similar thing going, but anyone who ever had to hack config.sys just to install an audio card, and who had to reset dip switches on the mother board for a new monitor know that the core PC hardware interface was a big pain in the past.

When a new device, such as a USB drive shows up, it just gets the next available address in the MacOS. In a PC a program runs to map it to a letter. In the old days this was impossible, but new PCs have become much more Mac like in recent years.

The new MacOS, OS X (Ten) is indeed based on the latest and greatest Berkley BSD release of their Unix. Technically Linnux is not Unix but a one off, however it is really well written so using Linnux you are often surprised about how much compiles on it. Other Unix environments like SunOS, Solaris, and A/UX all work the same way under the hood.

BSD is at the core of the new MacOS. On top of it floats the APIs for programming, a Java engine tied very close to BSD, a drawing engine called Quartz that is perhaps one of the best things to come out of OSX, and on top of all that the classic OS 9.1 can boot as an application.

The gist is that applications written for the core OSX environment should be able to recompile on other Unix systems easier if the APIs are present, while applications written for Unix will be able to compile and run on OSX, although they may not be able to take advantage of the UI.