Adjusting Arty Area Fire (with no LOS) - ETA Countdown Restarted!

I have discovered to my horror that you're UNABLE to adjust area fire for targets (out of LOS) with artillery (used German 81mm mortar) without the countdown timer starting from "scratch" in a recent PBEM. Didn't need to adjust fire (for out of LOS) previously in any PBEM, my FO's seems to climb trees to get 100% LOS wink.gif What a nasty surprise. Does this whack with real artillery doctrine. The timer to ETA started all over again with no reduced time penalty. Could this be wrongly simulated? Searching, I found the same discovery by a gentleman "Wolfe", posted on 09-16-2000 on the discussion thread @ www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010543.html . Nothing further mentioned, just the above mentioned/confirmed in a side remark.

Any clarification on this? Maybe Juardis, Wolfe, Bullethead (all that took part in the above post) could inform us whether this IS the case consistently for ALL arty according to their arty testing stats.

kind regards

Charl Theron

Stellenbosch, South Africa

I'm sure some people will leap all over now, but the thing is that you are both right and wrong. You are correct that the timer will reset *IF* you move the target point too far from the original point. It will *NOT* reset if you move it to a point within a certain radius from the original targetted point. What is this magic distance? About 100 meters I'd say based on my own observations. How can you know that you're targetting outside this magic radius when you don't have LOS? You don't. Many people have expressed a desire for a visual cue (like the green vs. blue line when in LOS), but to date there is none. I do not know if such a cue is planned for CM2.

In short: Be conservative in repositioning your target when out of LOS.

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps

[This message has been edited by Walter (edited 03-20-2001).]

Originally posted by WineCape:

Any clarification on this?

Clarification? Sure, I was wrong. smile.gif See:

Adjusting arty fire out of LOS.

As Walter said, still no handy-dandy green adjust line for out-of-LOS firing, unfortunately. frown.gif

BTW, adjust fire doesn't apply to TRPs. If you use a TRP, you can't adjust fire off of it (except within the area of the TRP itself; approx 40m diameter). Folks were using TRPs to start a quick count-down and then adjusting fire off of them and walking it across the map. BTS changed this so you can't adjust off of the TRP without restarting a new countdown anymore. See: Target ref and TRP Adjustment Bug v.1.12.

- Chris

Guest Michael emrys

***CHEAT WARNING!!!***

If you find that you really can't live with having the clock restart when you move the POI outside the magic radius, here's a little cheat you can use.

1. Before you move the targeting line, save the game.

2. Move the targeting line. If the clock restarts, without performing any additional save, immediately abort the scenario.

3. Restart the scenario from that turn. The targeting line will be in its original postion before you moved it. If you still wish to move it, don't move it so far. Repeat as necessary.

Michael

Thanks for all the enlightment gentleman! Short of measuring with a ruler on your monitor when the adjustment of arty fire is within/out of this magical 100m box when thre is no LOS, I gather that the grogs here have all called arms upon Charles (btw, hope he receives my wine before his birthday smile.gif) et al do change this.

Do these BTS gentleman keep track of these suggestions (for a visual line cue as described on this post) on such a busy BB?

Hope so. If not, I'm afraid that a lot of gentleman/woman will revisit this or other post (like I did! smile.gif) to clarify matters.

Nevertheless, I thank all above for the quick and informative replies. What a pleasure to be on this board. In fact, this is now bookmarked as my homepage on my browser. Go figure!

Kind regards

Charl Theron

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Originally posted by Walter:

I'm sure some people will leap all over now, but the thing is that you are both right and wrong. You are correct that the timer will reset *IF* you move the target point too far from the original point. It will *NOT* reset if you move it to a point within a certain radius from the original targetted point. What is this magic distance? About 100 meters I'd say based on my own observations. How can you know that you're targetting outside this magic radius when you don't have LOS? You don't. Many people have expressed a desire for a visual cue (like the green vs. blue line when in LOS), but to date there is none. I do not know if such a cue is planned for CM2.

In short: Be conservative in repositioning your target when out of LOS.

Cheers,

Walter R. Strapps

[This message has been edited by Walter (edited 03-20-2001).]

I talked to Madmatt about this a while back, and he talked to Charles. Evidently, the way LOS lines are coded, it would require alot of effort to rewrite for that special case.