Do you design/play scenarios for the first experience or replay value?

The scenarios have fog of war, limited briefings, etc. That means the first time you play it you will not know nearly as much as the second and subsequent times.

Once you throw in artillery, knowing the enemy set-up, strengths, etc a scenario plays very differently after the first time. So do you design scenarios focused on the first time experience? Or do you worry more about replay value?

And if you download scenarios are you looking for a single fog of war experience or for a scenario you can replay to master?

My only scenario design attempt was an effort to come up with something with replay value. I used dynamic victory locations figuring the replay value could be increased since the attacker could change the objective. Its success was so-so.

It seems to me that most scenarios are designed for the first time experience. I guess that is what I look for since I have rarely played the same scenario more than once. However, I would love to find a well-balanced scenario that was designed to be played over and over. I think the proper use of dynamic victory flags would be one way to do this, but, unfortunately, there is no way to search for scenarios with dynamic victory locations at the Depot.

To explain further, I got started in war gaming by playing Squad Leader where you knew what forces your opponent had and, generally, could see them deployed on the board in front of you. While there is certainly a lot to be said for the FOW found in CM, I find that it tends to curtail some of the banter that I remember from Squad Leader. For example, in Squad Leader, I would think nothing of commenting on how Lt. Kelso and his boys were going to close assault the halftrack coming up the road. In CM, I don’t dare say such a thing because 1) I don’t want my opponent to know that Kelso is near his halftrack, and 2) I don’t want my opponent to know that his halftrack has been spotted.

The other nice thing about a scenario that you’ve played over and over is that you know the best set ups already – so less time is spent setting up and more time actually playing. I played the first scenario in Squad leader so often that I can still remember the best deployment for the Germans.