Super Action Pack Vol.2 ready! Well...almost...check out these screenshots!

OK, the next message you get about Super Action Pack vol. 2: For Mom, Apple Pie, and the USA™ will be Tom and/or Manx telling you its ready for download. I'm having a couple texture problems with the 44 infantry and tank crew, so it will probably be ready tomorrow or later tonight. :D

So, for your delectation, a selection of screenshots and preview of the COMPLETE forthcoming set--

This mod pack covers ALL US uniforms in the game. After doing some research I discovered some serious problems with CM's stock US textures, namely, they weren't very accurate. Here's an illustrated breakdown of what's been changed:

US 44 infantry: the M1941 jacket has been cleaned up and shorted to improve proportions. With all these mods, every texture is brand-new-created-from- scratch, not just a repaint of CM's stock BMPs.

44inf.jpg

44 airborne: all new textures, cleaned up web gear, grenades, etc. Option to have 101st or 82d airborne shoulder patches.

para441.jpg

45 infantry: all new M1943 jacket textures! The original CM texture was just a repainted 44 pattern outfit. This is TOTALLY NEW!!!!

45inf1.jpg

45 airborne: again, just a repainted 44 texture. In reality, the airborne troops had their M1942 jump jackets replaced with the M1943 field jacket by the Autumn of 1944. My 45 inf. and a.b. textures are very similar, but the airborne uniform has rigger-applied pockets on the trousers and different sleeve insignia, + other subtle changes.

air1.jpg

45air2.jpg

All, of course, are in glorious HI-RES!!! :D

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: AndrewTF ]

Oh man, I forgot about the WINTER uniforms!!! :eek:

These are not white parkas and helmet covers. Instead, they intend to reflect the poor winter equipment of the American forces during the early stages of the Ardennes offensive. Each soldier gets a toasty-warm scarf and pair of gloves. A small change, yes, but it gives the whole look of a winter scenario a subtle difference.

Hope you like it! smile.gif

winter1.jpg

winter2.jpg

winter3.jpg

Thanks! I know it's not quite ready, but I get pretty excited when it's nearing completion. The 45 patterns and winter are ready to go...I just have to clean up the others...

The hardest part is the research, then getting the basic uniform structure set. The rest is just tweaking in Photoshop, really, and kind of fun.

BTW, I forgot to add, there are new helmet textures, too: plain, wide netting, and narrow netting.

:D

i'm really diggin' those '44 dogfaces and airborne. i love the rich color selections and that bad-ass attention to detail. your shoulder insignia came out nice an' crisp. i'll outfit my GIs in this stuff as soon as possible...

I'm gonna keep buggin' you about those Commonwealth fatigues until i'm placated with screenshots... :D

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife ]

andrew:

...the '44/'45 infantry and the '44 airborne are first rate, no question about it, but why are the cargo pockets on the '45 airborne trousers a different hue from the rest of the pantleg?

...the resulting disjointed effect looks rather awkward...why did you make this choice? to be more specific, what is "rigger?"

also, which divisional patches will we see?

thanks

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Peter Panzer ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Panzer:

andrew:

...the '44/'45 infantry and the '44 airborne are first rate, no question about it, but why are the cargo pockets on the '45 airborne trousers a different hue from the rest of the pantleg?

...the resulting disjointed effect looks rather awkward...why did you make this choice? to be more specific, what is "rigger?"

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: Peter Panzer ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I KNEW someone would ask about that! In late '44 all airborne units were issued with the M1943 field uniform rather than their traditional jump suits. To differentiate themselves from the regular infantry, uniforms were often modified by the unit "rigger" who normally worked with parachutes, lines, equipment, etc.

One of the most common modifications was the addition of pockets to the M1943 trousers and jacket sleeves. The pockets were usually scrounged from old M1942 jump jackets or other sources. To give it this "field modified" look I borrowed the trouser pocket from the 44 airborne texture set, and toned it down to make it look old and dirty. I left the sleeve pocket off, because it looked TOO funky.

In other words it's SUPPOSED to look that way. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warmaker:

Nice work yet again. I in particular like the '45 uniforms for both regular infantry and the airborne.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. One of the reasons I did this is that while the 44 uniforms were pretty much acceptable, the 45 outfits were pretty disappointing and kind of generic. One of the problems, I felt, was that they were too overall green--clothes, web gear, etc. Also, the OD color was really pretty bright.

I tried to not only reflect historical accuracy, but give the uniforms a little visual interest and contrast as well. For instance, I left the web gear khaki in color. In the original it was OD, and it certainly could have been OD in real life, but the khaki is equally accurate, and stands out from the uniform pretty well.

Umm, just noticed something. Doesn't the tank crews use some shared files from the '44 Infantry? Namely the arm.

Oh wait nevermind. I see what you did, you just did the winter files up like the '45 pattern. Cool idea. No pum intended. tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Umm, just noticed something. Doesn't the tank crews use some shared files from the '44 Infantry? Namely the arm.

Oh wait nevermind. I see what you did, you just did the winter files up like the '45 pattern. Cool idea. No pum intended. tongue.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. The cool thing about that is then I can give the winter tank commander distinctive armored division shoulder insignia, since almost all the winter/snow scenarios use the 45 pattern infantry. :cool:

And yes, they are deliberately weathered-looking. The us uniforms tend to lend themselves to that more easily, for some reason. I'm still undecided how I like the crumple filter--it kinda makes it look like the unforms are made out of marble or something...I see what you're trying to do, though. smile.gif

Agreed! and I second that idea about the face mod. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

Andrew, outstanding work. Now let's see if you could change face mods. LOL! smile.gif

I might try to do the crumpled look on these as well, but may not have to as it looks like you gave them the worn-look to them this time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewTF:

And yes, they are deliberately weathered-looking. The us uniforms tend to lend themselves to that more easily, for some reason. I'm still undecided how I like the crumple filter--it kinda makes it look like the unforms are made out of marble or something...I see what you're trying to do, though. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I agree. However that was the only thing that I could come up with to give the German uniforms a worn look instead of that straight from the dry cleaners look. As far as the marble look, yeah they do, but I was trying to give them a fabricy look. If you know what I mean.