i am a little worried

What ever happened to Atomic?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I loved the V for V games. I also liked the World @ War series. Though I only ended up getting theAfrican Campaign.

I wish I would have grabbed Stalingrad when I had the chance.

Gen

Back to AI and slightly to the left a bit...

Does anyone know how the AI in CM works? Is it just a long list of rules or does it use neural nets? or something completely different?

I've always been curious about how the AIs in computer games were programmed, mainly because some are incredibly stupid, when others seem pretty intelligent. I guess it depends on the situation. ie a driving game must be relatively easy, cos you only have to stay on a narrow track (effectively 1.5D), whereas a game like CM has nearly 3D surroundings (like real life it's not quite full 3D, there's nothing higher than about 10m in the game), which must be a damn sight harder to model.

Hey, how about a neural net AI in CMII? smile.gif An AI that learns? If the game used everything it had learnt in previous games against you, it would adapt to your style of play, making for an ultra-hard AI. You would have to change your play style to beat it.

On the down side, it would probably mean more people visiting the cesspool to find a whipping boy though. wink.gif

Guest barrold713

I may be typing out of my butt but given the constraints of current computers, the AI in computers games probably works on a massive amount of "if-then" algorithms. Essentially the AI would match a set of conditions presented with a pre-set response. The greater number of "if" conditions that are programmed, the more responses it will be able react with in the game.

CM has been able to program a good AI and giving it extra or higher quality units to compensate for its limitations still provides a good opponent to practice against. It is better in the defense as this requires less skill than coordinating an attack successfully.

As computer power continues to grow, naturally the level of AI skill will grow, but I think we are still a long ways from having a true ability to learn in PC games. It will continue to be interesting to watch these capabilities grow and how game developers will be able to harness this technology.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Very good thread. Enjoyed reading everyones opinions. So I would like to voice my opinion. I think CM came up with the best game I have ever played. After playing, I don't know, dozens and dozens of times I am still rushing home from work to play it again and again and again. There is so much to this game that you never get bored. If you do you can simply change things around and that solves that. As far as BF themselves, I think very highly of them and will flop down my $50.00 whenever it comes out. I have never seen a company so willing to do what it's customers want. It's very pleasing to ask for something and actually get it or at least find out why it can't be done. Hats off the BF and CM, on with CM2 no matter what. I'll sure it'll be worth the money, but damn they could hurry up a bit, HA! HA! Damn, I've not talked this much since my dad caught be borrowing his car many many years ago.

I would say that playing against the AI is a bit too easy. I´ve only had this game for less than a month, and I already have no problem beating it, no matter if I play Axis or Allies, or attack or defense.

I guess most of you feel that this is no problem, since you think everybody anyway plays PBEM or TCP/IP-games. But I´m positive there are lots of gamers out there who for one reason or another prefer to play against the AI.

Hurricane - a good human player is always going to wipe the floor with an AI opponent. Well, look at chess. It's only been the past ten years or so in which computers that are much more powerful than the ones we're playing on have been able to beat the top human players. And they still can't do it regularly.

CM's AI is the best I've seen, and if it gets better, great. To expect an AI which gives you a real run for your money is quixotic, IMO.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super