Pz IV/70 vs. JadgPanzer IV/70

These are two distinct tanks in CM, but they look alike. IIRC, in CM the Pz IV/70 has more armor and higher penetration. But what I want to know is why make two tank hunters so similar yet call them something different? Is one built on one chassis and the other on a different chassis? I've done some research but apparently people get these two confused, which in turn gets me confused. They look identical, they performed the same function, yet the Pz IV/70 appears to be much better than the JPz IV/70 (at least in CM it does)

------------------

Jeff Abbott

I always thought that Pz IV/70 was just a typo, I never noticed there were both in the game (I should pay more attention, I know). AFAIK, there was no such thing as a "Pz IV/70," just the JPzr. There were two Jpzr IV/70s, however. One manufactured by Vomag (V) and one by Alkett (A). The latter was a stop gap that had an unmodified lower hull and was taller, more boxy than the Vomag version that went into much wider production. I didn't think the A was in the game though.

Originally posted by JoePrivate:

The PzIV/70 is better armoured and carries the Panther's 75L/70 gun. The JgPzIV has less armour in CM and carries the 75L/48 gun. Your using the term JPzIV/70 may be what is confusing you.

I'm at work right now and am looking at the CM unit database by Guachi. He does not have a listing for a PzIV/70 but he does have one for a JadgPanzer IV/70(V). So what you're saying is that the the PzIV/70 in CM is what the database calls the JadgPanzer IV/70(V)? That makes sense and would clear up all my confusion.

So what you're saying is that the the PzIV/70 in CM is what the database calls the JadgPanzer IV/70(V)?

Yes. I'm pretty sure the commonly used designation for that vehicle is PzIV/70.

Here's a link for some history of it's development:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/pz10.htm#jagd4

Though it calls that vehicle a JgPzIV/70 also!

[This message has been edited by JoePrivate (edited 01-25-2001).]

Guest Big Time Software

You are both right. Jgdpzr... the only thing you missed is that the vehicle was commonly called the "Panzer IV/70(V)", which is kinda strange but true since it really was an upgunned Jagdpanzer IV. THe official designation was "Panzerjäger IV für 7.5 StuK 42 L/70". So my guess is that people started shortening it by dropping the "jäger" bit.

Combat Mission does not model the Panzer IV/70(A). Although 278 were produced we simply ran out of time to do this variant. And since the Germans already have MORE than enough tank killers to choose from, we put this down on our list and didn't get to it.

Steve

Originally posted by jgdpzr:

I always thought that Pz IV/70 was just a typo, I never noticed there were both in the game (I should pay more attention, I know). AFAIK, there was no such thing as a "Pz IV/70," just the JPzr. There were two Jpzr IV/70s, however. One manufactured by Vomag (V) and one by Alkett (A). The latter was a stop gap that had an unmodified lower hull and was taller, more boxy than the Vomag version that went into much wider production. I didn't think the A was in the game though.

PIV/70(V) and PIV/70(A) did exist, it was how offical Heer and design documents refer to it.

Guest Big Time Software

I forgot... another reason we didn't put in the PzIV/70(A) is because most of the few that were made served on the Eastern Front. At least that is what we dug up. So although we haven't finalized the Eastern Front German vehicle list, I'd say it is likely it will show up for CM2.

Steve

Any particular reason why the original (L48) JgPz IV is left with only 60mm frontal armour?

Asking since the last (about) 500 of the (about) 800 produced were made with 80mm armour on the hull and superstructure front.

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 01-25-2001).]