Soviet Amphib. light tanks.

Are any of the Soviet amphibious tanks making it to CMBB?

Despite the fact that the T37, T38 & T40 tanks were hardly less powerful than a halftrack, it'd be fun to use them to show up in places were your opponent would not expect.

Gyrene

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Gyrene ]

Are the maps going to be big enough to warrent large bodies of water? Ie rivers. In a user built scenatio maybe but I doubt we will see them in QB's.

Again there is the fun factor - like the strumtiger, but probably it is way way way down on their list of things to please Gyrene ;)

Guess I must have missed those scenarios then. But then I mainly play QB's and all I've ever seen is the occasional pond, which takes all of about 20 sec to skirt.

I guess another factor would be the extra programming involved to make the crews swim and they would have to model shell splashes, to keep the eye candy people happy.

As for how common they were I have no idea - I'm surprised I'm the only one who has posted a response to your question.

Well, I don't know bunny poop on the subject, aside from a photo or two of the relevant vehicles in books, but you two guys looked so lonely all by yourselves that I just had to come over and post with you.

Y'know, given the paucity of information about Sov amphib tanks, one might be forgiven for supposing that they didn't play too big a role in the war. There might not even have been all that many built. Wonder if anybody knows of any AARs that mention them.

Michael

Cpl, you mean to tell you you haven't played a scenario with rivers yet? You're missing out. smile.gif

CM already models boats, so it would not be a huge stretch to include amphibs.

Hey Micheal, welcome to the thread, I was starting to feel ostracized.

The Sovs used quite a few T38's early in the war, as they had little choice, and the things were pretty much a death trap for the crews.

The one reason I'd like to see them in CM is simply the cool amphibious factor.

Gyrene

These little jobs weren't very common, actually. The Russians did have around 3000 of them all told, which may sound like a lot. But it is dwarfed by the ~12000 T-26s and ~8000 BT series that made up the bulk of the pre-Barbarossa Russian armor fleet.

The amphib "tanks" are MG armed, halftrack armored, glorified armored cars really. Their primary importance is as forerunners of the T-60 light tank design (20mm light tank built in 1941 and 1942), later the T-70 (45mm uparmored light tank produced in 1942 and 1943) and eventually the SU-76 (the use made of the light tank chassis from mid '43 on).

The main Russian tank at the time of the invasion was the T-26, which had a 45mm gun and 2 MGs, and 25mm of armor (early versions had only 15mm). A fair match in gun and armor terms for short 50mm Pz IIIs with 30mm of armor, although the latter had a better 3-man turret and radios. The next most important type were the BT "cavalry" tanks, quite fast and 45mm gun armed as well, but with only 13-15mm of armor, like armored cars have.

Compared to those two, the heavier T-34 and KV series were rare in 1941, and so were the light amphib "tanks". In 1942, the Russians had a mix of surviving 45mm light tanks, new 20mm T-60s, and the rapidly growing fleet of T-34s. By 1943, the T-34s were overwhelmingly the most common type, but supplimented by some 45mm T-70 light tanks and some KV series heavier ones, TDs, etc. The older tanks were long gone by then.

The main "transition" is from 45mm armed light tanks pre-invasion to mostly T-34s by the begining of 1943. The Germans moved from Pz IIIs with short 50mm to Pz IVs with long 75mm, plus long 75mm StuGs, in about the same time frame.

Jason C, thanks for the info. While there were not a lot of them, there were enough to warrant their inclusion (hopefully with amphib capability) in CMBB, even if with a high rarity factor.

Cpl Carrot: Try "Coldstream Guards" from the CD or Rune's "Bridges at Le Luc" (sp?) for scenarios were the river is the centerpiece, the latter is a bear to play as the French, Chuckles did a very good job of stopping me in that one.

Gyrene