is it worth is

Um, Hilhil45, spotters do not call in airstrikes; spotters call in artillery. Quite a big difference. ;)

Aircraft just come and go and target as they please. If they show up!

As for sending out spotters, IMO you'd best keep these guys well back in good cover with as wide a LOS as possible. In your opponent's view the only good enemy spotter is a dead enemy spotter. ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackson44dday:

All i do is plan ahead, sometimes that doesnt work though, i think the bigger artillery takes to long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many (or should I say how few) battles have you played where you didn't have to alter your plans after the first five minutes of combat? I would never risk a spotter in some forward skirmish. They're much too valuable to put at risk.

And true, the big arty takes longer. You get bigger holes for all that waiting though! :D

Guest ckoharik

Artillery response time also varies with the experience of the spotter. A crack 81mm spotter can bring arty down the same turn (sometimes) and can be very effective. As for the larger caliber you really shouldn't be trying to use them to hit a moving target but rather a static one that you want to blow to heck and back. Great for assaulting heaving defenses. Nothing like seeing a battery of 203mm hitting some infantry! :eek:

If you are trying to figure out if spotters are worth buying I'd say depends on how big of game you're playing. Little games no because when you both have small forces to move around you will move them around a lot and often. Spotters are too slow to do much damage to any forces cause your damn opponent keeps moving them on you. In bigger games your enemy will sometimes gather at certain locations for various reasons and that's where spotters are needed. Now, saying that I have had spotters use smoke in even small games to shield his evil intentions and it worked and worked well, but overall spotters are too expense to buy in small games for thier worth, in my humble opinion. ;)

Nothing calls in air support. It just runs itself if purchased or provided by the scenario. It can be driven off or shot down by your opponent's actions.

As to forward observers....

When forward observers fight it's called a forward observer battle.

And when they battle with a Hummel it's a forward observer Hummel battle.

AND when forward observers battle with a Hummel in a puddle it's called forward observer Hummel puddle battle. AND...

When forward observers battle Hummels in a puddle and the Hummel is hull down they call this a forward observer Hummel hull down puddle battle. AND...

Hope that helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

Nothing calls in air support. It just runs itself if purchased or provided by the scenario. It can be driven off or shot down by your opponent's actions.

As to forward observers....

When forward observers fight it's called a forward observer battle.

And when they battle with a Hummel it's a forward observer Hummel battle.

AND when forward observers battle with a Hummel in a puddle it's called forward observer Hummel puddle battle. AND...

When forward observers battle Hummels in a puddle and the Hummel is hull down they call this a forward observer Hummel hull down puddle battle. AND...

Hope that helps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said.

Sorry - I mean what did he say? smile.gif

Best tactic for FO's - find a tall building with a wide LOS and hide up there.