A Cool War Flick

Damn I just finished watching "Assault on Firebase Gloria" on TNT and I was impressed. I had never heard about this gem of a war film before but it sure does Vietnam without the wacky Hollyweird slant most other movies have! Damn and "Gunny Hartman"/R. Lee Ermy as the voice over and star of the film make for a some believable action. The special effects and some of the other stuff leave something to be desired but it was cool especially when they ask this guy who was killing prisoners if he was a rapist when he was back in the US of A.

------------------

There was a long silence of rememberance for the dead, to which I added these names:

Ernst Neubach, Lensen, Wiener, Wesreidau, Prinz, Solma, Hoth, Olensheim, Sperlovski, Smellens, Dunde, Kellerman, Freivitch, Ballers, Frosch, Woortenbeck, Siemenlies...

I refuse to add Paula to that list, and I shall never forget the names of Hals, or Lindberg, or Pferham, or Wollers. Their memory lves within me.

There is another man, whom I must forget. He was called Guy Sajer.

Guest MantaRay

Yes, one of my favorite war movies. I was actually the only one who has ever mentioned it here before, and I am surprised anyone has ever heard of it but me. R. Lee Ermy is the best "Hollywood" Sgt/Officer with that commanding voice he has.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Firebase Gloria is good but not many people know of it. Everyone's seen Platoon, Hamburger Hill and Full Metal Jacket though.

On the subject of Mr."Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann" he really was a former Marine and due to his portrayals of us jarheads he's quite popular even today's active duty Marines and gets requests to show up as a guest every year on Marine Corps Balls/Birthdays. I had the priveledge one year to see him and he got up one time to do his bit as the Senior D.I. of Full Metal Jacket. All eyes were on him, and it was pretty cool!

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima

Come on, that movie is a little out there, all the VC do is walk straight ahead and wait to get shot, anyway after watching Saving Private Ryan most other war movies look stupid IMHO, oh and I still love "The Beast" about the Soviet tank, that movie rocks.

Pvt.Tom

You really thought that was a good war movie? I thought it was pure propaganda. A whole squad wiping out companies of VC? Just total fantasy. Yes, Lee Ermy is great but it would be better to see him in Boys in Company C or Full metal jacket that was more in tune with what really happened in Vietnam...

"Sahara" with Bogart - my first, favorite War Movie...You actually get to see a REAL M3 and a Stuart [in the beginning of the movie].

------------------

"Whoever had the choice, would choose an eagle's nest on the cliffs in place of a home. May he know how to sleep, though his eyes be red from the thunder, and listen to the cries of the wild spirits in the murmur of the pines.-That is how I lived."

hmm...the beast been awhile since i've seen that one definetly a change of pace...what did you think of "when trumpets fade" i thought the actor playing the company commander was definitly better than tom hank's in a similiar role,an dwight yokum as a colonel this movie was cool.