Targetting without LOS (not arty)

Maybe somebody's posted this before, but I have a little complaint. Why isn't it possible to "pre-target" with a unit? I mean, I KNOW that a Tank Destroyer is positioned around the corner, but there's no line of sight at the moment. If I order my tank to roll around that corner, it will keep the gun aimed forward, despite knowing that the TD is to the left. I just lost my only tank this way.

Er, you can pre-target with a unit, even if the target is out of sight. This doesn't guarantee that your unit will shoot at what you want it to when it moves into sight (it might see something more dangerous/tempting in the meantime), but it does increase the probability.

Moving your last tank into the LOS of a stationary TD that you know is there seems like a bad idea, anyway biggrin.gif

What FF failed to mention is that there's a prerequisit to have the intended target within LOS from any unit to pre-target.

If, on the other hand, you merely suspect that there's an enemy around the corner, then the best workaround is to let the coax MG area target a point within LOS that's positioned so that the turret will point in the correct general direction as your tank approach the corner.

Cheers

Olle

If I pre-target, (without LOS) the unit will ignore it. Also, of course it's a bad idea to move around the corner, knowing the TD is there, but I also KNEW that it was facing another direction, and that it had a very slow turret. It all depended on the first shot, which my unit would've had, had it not decided to point another way while moving.

Olle: Good idea...

[This message has been edited by Sven (edited 04-03-2001).]

Originally posted by Sven:

If I pre-target, (without LOS) the unit will ignore it.

If you actually see it while issuing the order (instead of just having a marker), then it won't get "ignored" just because the targetting line dissappears at the start of the movie.

Your tank will still keep an extra eye in the direction of the intended target, and then do an acuisition ASAP when it gets within LOS.

Cheers

Olle