Desert mod SITREP

I thought I just drop a line about the desert mod that we are working up. To set the record straight I am not the only person involved. Clubfoot and Audace have been extremely active in this, in many ways far more than I am at this time.

Recently I just got some speech wav files for Italian troops. I am amazed how well they sound. This files will help to convince gamers that they are fighting with Italians.

He is also working up Italian version of the vehicles and artillery that is available.

Clubfoot is also busy making the various terrain bmp changes so the game looks as "desert" as possible. Now I realize that we really cannot make it look perfectly. From the beginning I worked from the premise that IF this mod was accepted that the mod people would essentially finish the bmps for me. Somewhat selfish but I knew I didn't have the resources nor the time to do the mod perfectly. Fortunately Clubfoot got involved and his help has proven invaluable. The man certainly deserves much credit.

I have created a recommended infantry and equipment list for all sides in the desert. This is intended to assist us in our scenario designs (so far I have a maximum of 38 ASL scenarions that I want to convert to COMBAT MISSION DESERT FOX DESERT RATS). But I intended to include this file with the zip files so that the CM community will have this reference for their own battle designs. I have also contacted MultiMan Publishing, the current publisher of ASL, about purchasing selected scenario packs and terrain overlays. I have also told them what I am doing asked for permission to include as many ASL battles in the mod as I can.

Other developments have worked themselves out. I have a gamer willing to work up Japanese speech files. This will permit a couple of scenarios with the 100th Niesa Battalion,Japanese-American combat units, that fought in Italy.

It is my hope to have battles thought out the Med such as Crete, Italy, and obviously the desert. The desert will cover from 1941-42. I have scenarios from Morocco to Lebanon. It should have battles from Operation Torch, American units versus Vichy French. It should have Italians fighting Brits and Americans plus a battle against the Germans.

My goal in this mod is to provide gamers a means of new challenges. I am totally aware that there is no way I can capture the problems of the desert. I cannot simulate the vehicles of the desert. But it is my hope that I can provide you a new set of challenges.

Now the future. I have worked up initial ideas for a Pacific mod. I got scenario packs from MMP on order. I have been contacted by Mark IV, his girlfriend speaks Japanese. In many ways this mod should prove to be a little easier since many problems have been solved in the pursuit of DFDR, however I still need some resources such as Chinese speech files and possibly Hindu.

So things are working out. I got tomorrow off and plan to spend the day on the mod. With luck, please don't hold me to this, but with luck maybe by mid Feb I will start approaching somebody to host these files on their website for you to download.

MikeT

Thanks for you efforts, I look forward to the mod(s).

Question tho - I would have thought focusing more on the Italian campaign (43-44) would be more appropriate given the unit choices we have....Or have I missed something and you're able to modify unit make up and the vehicle models?

Anyway, still looking forward to it.

Thanks

Fen

[This message has been edited by Fenris (edited 01-14-2001).]

Fenris, I do have several Italian battles in Sicily and on the mainland. I also plan to include them with the mod. IF I can get MMP to return my email about purchasing the scenario packs from about 8 different modules I should have several battles to offer. Either when the mod is released or as additional battles some short time afterwards.

Of interest I have one battle with Italian soldiers being backup by German tanks. It is called ASL Scenario AP6 Savannah Rain. There is an Italian inf unit, elements of the 33rd and 34th Regiments, Livorno Division with a backup of 4 Tiger Is and two older PzIII armed with short barreled 75s. I feel that substitution of the StugIIIs for the PzIIIs is appropriate. They are facing elements of the 1st American Ranger Battalion back up by some onboad 75mm arty with the late entry of a single towed 105 arty then two Shermans a few turns later. The battle is set in Sicily in July 1943.

I have intentionally picked using ASL battles since I feel that they are well designed and well tested. Plus I am lazy to be honest and don't want to spend the time racking my brain to create new from scratched.

MikeT

Bullethead, I do plan to do a Pacific mod after the desert is done (plus some minor battles). Actually the desert was originally going to be a simple thing. It just blossomed into a real TC. Besides from I understand neither will be done for a year plus. However I was surprised that the Russian game is so far along. I had wanted to something in that area just for giggles and grins.

I just sent some info to some people that have volunteered to work language translations for me, such as Japanese and Norwegian. I would like to find someone that can do uniforms. I have need for Japanese (both Imperial Army and Marine) and even Norwegian. I can send JPGs for all if needed. I would also like some for Vichy French if possible. It seems I can plan better than I can paint.

I spent some time working up how to do the Pacific theater with the given game and it seems doable to a certain degree. Fortuantely the Japanese were not real armor users.

BTW, was do you mean by CBI?

Baseball, you should see the building bmps that clubfoot just sent me. WOW. He has done a great job here. Getting him onboard was a shear stroke of luck. I was also fortunate with Audace. He is Italian and his grandfather served in the desert.

MikeT