Flash of lightning for CM2?

This would be nice and could actually be done (this doesn't require dynamic lighting) it would just be a momentary phase change in the way the game is running (for two seconds it is "daytime" and then it would be back to night.

However, beyond the eye candy what do you think it would gain you in game play? In the two seconds you wouldn't be likely to be able to see much that you couldn't already see and you couldn't direct orders against targets that are again out of LOS. Interesting feature but not of much use. It would be more like the sound contacts that are already in the game. Think about the last time you were in a thunderstorm, were you able to really discern and identify something that you didn't already know was there? How about when you were driving, could you really see more that was useful information or were your eyes/mind so shocked and overburdened that they saw was more disortion than real?

Ultimately out of fairness (due to the fact that we can see the movie as many times as we like) the things you see should be exactly like the phantom sound contacts that already exist and just as misleading.

[ 04-08-2001: Message edited by: kmead ]

The effect of lightning lighting up the sky was usually a strong desire on my part to get the hell away from the antenna of my radio.

It can kill your night vision if you are looking straight at it. But as a useful source of light, not in my experiance.

I am sure it has been hashed over before, but one of the items it would be nice to play with is illumination rounds.

I had mentioned this before but no answers so I'll bring it up again. How about flares? I assume they had them in WWII, know they did in Nam. It would really open up a new type of game. Just think, here sits your machine gun nest or AT and it's quite and lonely and you're about to fall asleep when you hear something. Damn, what was that? there I heard it again. Something moving over there, damn. Pop a flare. ****! it's tanks with infantry coming. Anyway, that's how I see it. It would be cool. ;)