Sloped Armor

There is one thing i don't understand.

I can see that fx. the german Panzer I, have sloped armor, but why didn't the tiger have it.

I know that all the germens tanks had sloped armor after Panther, but why did the Tiger not have it when some of the earlier had it.

Thanks in advance

Lars aka. Guderian

Copenhagen, Denmark

Good question. The Tiger I’s hull design is very “boxy”. Its outward appearance is more reminiscent of the somewhat boxy shape of the Mk III and Mk IV. The original concept of marrying up the 88 with a heavily armored tank was actually initiated somewhat before Barbarossa. I can only guess that that encounters with the T34 in mid to late 41 were occurring at a point in the Tigers design where radical changes in hull and turret layout were not possible. Couple this with a real need on the part of the German Army to have in its possession a tank capable of going toe to toe with the T34 only acted to accelerate the Tiger I’s design and testing schedule.

I was recently watching a video set called “Actung Panzer! Sturmgeschutze” by Cromwell Films. Interviews include discussions with the likes of: David Fletcher, John Erickson, William Atwell (curator of the Aberdeen Armour Museum…Fletcher’s Yankee counterpart). It also included an Interview with a German Panzer veteran (forget his name at the moment) who works at an armour museum in Germany. In the interview the old Panzer Trooper stated; “the T34/76 was the mother of all modern tank designs”.

Anyway that’s my 3 cents worth. I expect one of the local Panzer Gurus here abouts can give you a better reason why the Tiger I is so…uh…vertical.

It's the same exact design as the pz III and IV, but on a larger scale. This is quite apparent if you have models of the tanks (Thanks, Wulf). The turrets are the exact same shape, and the hulls are very similar, except that the tiger's is a bit wider for its length.

Other than the scale between the Tiger IE and PzKpfw IV's their silhouettes can be easily mistaken. This was quite apparent to many Western Allied troops. To be sure some PzKpfw IVs that were distroyed may have mistakenly identified as Tigers. Same can be really said for airmen who don't have the luxury of studying a ground target that's trying to shoot you down. Also, by CMBO's timeframe the Tiger, though old, had a fearsome reputation and commanders would mistakenly overreact possibly misidentifying a PzKpfw IV.

On an off note, I'm still upset about my Tiger stats being short-changed in CMBO...

I can't quote a source off the top of my head, but it's always been my understanding that the tiger I's shape was kept simple to ease and speed the manufacturing process. Obviously a major concern for a country who's infastructure is under attack and who needs to field the unit quickly.

Panther:

I'm not sure if Cromwell films is still in exsistence or not. I tried a goggle search and came up only with independent video dealers. Anyway try a google search with:

Cromwell Films, Actung Panzer

It's a three tape set...each tape is about 100 minutes. Subjects of the 3 tapes are:

Panzers

Sturmgeschutze

&

Sturm Artillery