Artillery Barrage

Okay... while waiting for CM (yes, I decided to get it; I emailed Madmatt and he explained the reason for the dead bodies) I'm contenting myself with the demo. While defending as the Germans, I had my 105mm Infantry Gun plastered by an artillery barrage. However, I don't know how to access this particular asset that the Americans have. My question: how do you call down an artillery barrage?

The Major

You must have an FO (Forward Observer, or artillery spotter). Such units don't come with every battle of course. Most canned scenarios have at least a couple of FOs, and they are available for purchase when playing quick battles. Just wait till you get to play with a 14" FO. Talk about ruining someone's day.

There are also onboard mortar teams.

Take an inventory of your troops. You should have an observer. It will appear as a single soldier with a pair of binoculars. Use the observer's Target command to call in an artillery strike. If the observer has LoS to the target, the artillery will arrive faster (approx 1 minute) and will fall in a tighter grouping. If he doesn't have LoS, there will be a longer delay (usually 2 - 3 minutes) and the artillery will be spread over a wider area.

Major,

If you are playing Valley of Trouble, sorry, you're screwed. You do not have an FO, but the Americans have several. I had my bunkers, pillbox, and 105mm gun taken out once by them. So, hunker down and hope for the best. Whnever you see a guy running around with binoculars, let him have it! Target units on him and hopefully they can pin him or kill him off.

Actually, he isn't totally screwed. If it is Valley of trouble that he's playing then he can use his two on board 81mm mortars as a poor man's arty battery. Just use a company commander with LOS to the target to call down the indirect fire. Make sure that both 81s are within the command radius of the CO.

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

Major,

Good to hear you got through that one alive. wink.gif Yes, the barrage countdown time should also be shown in the ammo box on the spotter's info screen. You can also target places if you do not have LOS, just be prepared for a longer countdown and less accuracy. In addition, the spotter countdown varies with experience and arty size. Arty size also afects how many salvos you can get in a turn and how much ammo. (81mm mortars have 200 ammo, and you can get most barrages with a regular spotter down in about 1-1 1/2 minutes. The 81mms also come almost right after one another. Quite devastating to open/pinned infantry or guns.) You can also call down smoke.

Have fun!