Packing Multiple Squads Into A Single Terrain "Square"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FFE:

The game does indeed model this aspect. A unit will fail morale much faster when receiving fire from its flank and rear. If the firing units are nearby, the target will generally surrender.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. Thanks for the insight. May I inquire how you discovered this?

Michael

Michael,

Just run a small test. You'll find that a unit's morale quite often doesn't hold up very well when being fired on from multiple directions. The same amount of firepower coming from a single direction doesn't affect morale as much.

It sounds like we're on the same wavelength regarding the squad packing issue. The packing up is one thing, but the guys in the back of the "square" should be shooting their own in the back of the head when the whole group tries to fire at a common enemy unit. It's similar to 5 guys trying to fire simultaneously out of the same small window. It can't be done.

Of course, the player could pack the entire platoon at the front edge of the terrain square so nobody would have his muzzle in his buddy's ear. That would leave about 1/2 meter per man, literally shoulder to shoulder across the square. :rolleyes: Anyhoo, squad packing just doesn't sit too well with me, but since nobody else really has a problem with it I'll pack 'em in when necessary.

Treeburst155 out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Treeburst155 wrote:

The packing up is one thing, but the guys in the back of the "square" should be shooting their own in the back of the head when the whole group tries to fire at a common enemy unit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try a rainy night – even people behind the firing unit aren't safe.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Of course, the player could pack the entire platoon at the front edge of the terrain square so nobody would have his muzzle in his buddy's ear. That would leave about 1/2 meter per man, literally shoulder to shoulder across the square.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alternatively, they could arrange themselves in three ranks. The first rank lies prone, the second rank kneels, and the third rank stands. That would give them a meter and a half per man. Napoleonics anyone?

;)

Michael

Skipper only the survivors learn this, and then they get spread around or reinforced with new recruits. Also veterans in the Jungle or agaisnt the Japs would not have this experience at all.

Other vets might have learned to dig deeper as a response to artillery.

Not everyone in war gets to "experience" the "classic" situations.

Napoleonics at Arnhem. C Company 1st Border waiting to repell an attack on the Western side of the perimeter. I count 22 and apparently there were a couple more sections just out of camera view to the left. I guess in that situation concentrating available firepower was everthing.

View?u=1702742&a=13079968&p=49399016

Peter

[ 05-29-2001: Message edited by: IPA ]